Mirrors go crazy upon start up

jpimp

Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Hello Friends,

I have an 02 Envoy SLT loaded with heated memory seats with 140,000 miles. I have only owned it for 6 weeks. I changed the ignition starter switch when I got it home because it didn't want to start very often. No problems there since :smile: Even though I accidently moved the gear on the one I took out, but i guessed correctly with the new one first try :biggrin:

My problem is that when I get into my truck and start it up, intermittently the side view mirrors (usually one or the other) go crazy. If it's the drivers mirror it will usually just try and go sideways as much as it can sometimes clicking as it goes way to far. If it's the passenger side mirror it usually goes up to the sky sometimes clicking as it goes way to far.

I have tried disconnecting the battery negative for an hour then plugged it back in in hopes of re-setting, but to no avail.
(funny after being disconnected for over an hour it still remembered all my radio presets and stuff.)
I have tried both remotes (1&2) they both do it.
I have tried re-setting up both the curb veiw assist to on and off, and the position for curb veiw assist. nothing helps.

It is intermittent and doesn't do it all the time but it happens quite frequently like 50% of the time.

My guess at this point is DDM but I have not tested anything with a DVM wouldn’t no where to start :confused:. (My pops has an 05 rainier I wonder if he will let me trade DDM's for a while?)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Very common problem as the vehicles age, and it's the position feedback sensors IN the mirrors. GM got sick of replacing mirrors in warranty that rather than make the sensors more robust they disabled the mirror memory feature altogether on later models.

Since the sensors aren't available separately, the only fix is to spend $100+ each for aftermarket mirror replacements, or bigger $$ for OEM units.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If your Dad turns his back for a minute, do a ninja-swap on the mirrors themselves. :rotfl:

coleman

Dec 4, 2011
I've had this problem on my TB since 2001. The dealership changed the mirrors 3 or 4 times and finally they refused to believe there was a problem, even when they saw them misbehaving.

Is there a way to disable the positioning sensors altogether? I guess I shouldn't care at this point as I've been dealing with it for almost 12 years now.

jpimp

Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
the roadie said:
Very common problem as the vehicles age, and it's the position feedback sensors IN the mirrors. GM got sick of replacing mirrors in warranty that rather than make the sensors more robust they disabled the mirror memory feature altogether on later models.

Since the sensors aren't available separately, the only fix is to spend $100+ each for aftermarket mirror replacements, or bigger $$ for OEM units.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If your Dad turns his back for a minute, do a ninja-swap on the mirrors themselves. :rotfl:

Thanks roadie

So what your telling me is this is a good excuse to buy some power folding mirrors :yes:

Is the fix just a simple plug and play new mirrors? no programming required?

EDIT:
Called the stealership for mirror prices, and he was adamant that it was not the mirrors.
He said he ran my vin # and it has never had the update in 03 to fix the software problem from 02. He recommends bringing in the ride to get the DDM and BCM tested with their tech 2 scanner. Problem is that's $$ I don't have, and then I have to let some other man touch her :hissyfit:

So at this point I want to see how my dad feels about letting me swap our side veiw mirrors for testing purposes... I also want to hit up a bone yard.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The easiest way to fix it is, if you have the DIC, turn off seat position recall, tilt mirror and easy exit seat.

jpimp

Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Matt said:
The easiest way to fix it is, if you have the DIC, turn off seat position recall, tilt mirror and easy exit seat.

Thank you,

Will try today :thumbsup:

jpimp

Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
I can confirm the work around that Matt posted above does indeed work :yes:

Envoy/Trailblazer/Rainier/Bravada/9-7X Mirror LH Power Heated Memory Clear Fold | eBay
Since I cannot find any power folding mirrors with memory...
I am wondering if any body knows if these mirros from ebay will fit my 2002?

On my truck now is the heated, memory, power, manual folding, amber lense.
Also on my drivers side is electrochromic glass, can I simply replace the glass into the new one purchased...or take out the feedback postion sensor from the new one and put it in my old one?

Thanks! :smile:

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
Yeah, just turn them off...they are evil.
I would geuss moisture as my (way back when) warranty replaced ones
went bad again without use.
Anybody ever tried fixing , cleaning or drying what is in there?
Or is it probably... once they are bad...sol:mad:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
GM addressed the mirror issues somewhere around 03-04 but used the same part numbers as the originals. I went through the wringer when mine was almost a year old with many trips to the dealer to fix my demon mirrors. They would give me a nice little show of what was above me, on the ground, off to the sides, before settling down. Best thing to do is when you set them, just move them down, don't move them all around so they only have one place to go if you use the curbview assist function.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online