Mirror swap

strat81

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I'm replacing the driver's side mirror on my 2004 Rainier. I have RPO code DS3 Mirrors, outside rearview, foldaway, power, heated. These also have the integrated amber turn signal lenses and are color-matched to the body.

I purchased a used mirror off of eBay. It's also color matched, with a clear/smoke turn signal lens. I know nothing about the donor vehicle. Is there a way to know if it is heated? Did all color-matched mirrors with smoke lenses come with heated glass? I do not have an infrared thermometer to check the glass for a temp change, and I doubt I'll be able to feel it with the 90+ degree weather we've been having.

Does anyone know if the contacts/connectors for the heating element are easily accessible/visible with the cover off? If they are, what am I looking for? I assume they'll show voltage if I turn the rear defrost on and put a voltmeter to them?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
IIRC, not all of the heated mirrors have the symbol.

Look at the mirror harness where it plugs into the driver's door module (DDM). If your mirror is heated there will be two black wires in the green connector (in positions B3 and B7). Without the heater there will be no black wires in the connector.

strat81

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
AtlWrk said:
IIRC, not all of the heated mirrors have the symbol.

Look at the mirror harness where it plugs into the driver's door module (DDM). If your mirror is heated there will be two black wires in the green connector (in positions B3 and B7). Without the heater there will be no black wires in the connector.

Brilliant! I'll check that when I get home. Thanks.

ETA - Uh... how do I know which positions are which? Looking at the female end, is it like this?

A 1234567
B 1234567

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
strat81 said:
Brilliant! I'll check that when I get home. Thanks.

ETA - Uh... how do I know which positions are which? Looking at the female end, is it like this?

A 1234567
B 1234567

IIRC the connector has tiny letters/number molded somewhere on it. That being said, they are the only black wires in that connector so either they're there or they're not.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Also, if you turn the mirror all the way in or out, you should be able to see the 2 wires that connect to the back of the glass using a small flashlight

strat81

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
AtlWrk said:
IIRC the connector has tiny letters/number molded somewhere on it. That being said, they are the only black wires in that connector so either they're there or they're not.

I didn't see any letters molded, but there were two black wires. After hooking it all up, it appears this new mirror works with my memory feature, which the old mirror did not do. :thumbsup:

For those who plan on changing out the whole mirror, it's actually very easy.
1) Lower the driver's window, turn the ignition off, remove the key, disconnect the battery.
2) Remove the driver's door control module by prying it off carefully with a flat head screwdriver. Disconnect the plugs from the back of the module using a screwdriver where necessary to release the clips. Set the module aside.
3) Inside the control module cavity, on the left side, is a 10mm bolt. Remove it.
4) To the left of the grab handle on the door is a deep hole. At the bottom is a 10mm bolt. Remove it.
5) Remove the plastic bezel surrounding the door latch handle. There are four clips that must be popped using a flat head screwdriver. You can see indents for them if you look at the bezel - two on the top, two on the bottom.
6) Starting near the mirror at the door hinge, pull the door panel off. There are eight clips that will disconnect simply by pulling. It doesn't take a ton of pressure. Work your way down the hinge area, across the bottom, up by the jamb, and across.

The panel is now off.

7) By the mirror is a wadded up piece of foam rubber. Remove it to access two of the three mirror mounting screws. The third should be readily accessible. A 10mm socket will remove the nuts. Pull the mirror off the door.

Assembly is the reverse. However, when putting the door panel back on, there is a lip on the door panel that hooks over a piece on the top of the door, so be sure to get that hooked before you have everything bolted down.

Thanks to everyone that contributed. :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online