Master cylinder differences

Sylgeist

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
I just replaced everything on my 04 LT except the master cylinder. I was hoping to get a better pedal feel, but after searching it sounds like a common issues on the platform.

I was getting ready to order a new MC just to cover my bases when I thought I would check other years for differences.

It looks like 06 maybe they changed MC part numbers and I found the following on the Delco site:

Master Cylinder Bore Diameter​

1 in​

25.4 mm​

and on the 06 part number:

1.063 in​

27 mm​

any reason to believe that the larger bore would improve the pedal feel/travel or just adding unknown variables to the system?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
06+ went to cast iron calipers. Maybe they have more volume than the old aluminum ones. I remember my 02 had soggy brakes. Braked fine, just soft pedal. I've had an 06 and an 07 and the feel is much better.

If the soft brakes really bother you, it might be possible to switch to the iron calipers. You'd need the calipers, brackets and pads. Hose may bolt right up but check part numbers. If yours is a SWB, it would also be a good time to upgrade to the larger EXT/V8/SS brakes. For that, you would need the specific brackets and larger rotors. Recommend SS rotors as they have more mass. I did that on my 07 and it brakes great.

Sylgeist

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
Ah interesting! Well darn - if I hadn't just replaced everything I would swap out to something else, but I'll deal with it. I thought the calipers were the same and just the rotor changed size. I sadly can't swap to the larger rotors without changing wheels (I have 16's) so maybe a future upgrade!

Sylgeist

Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Colorado
Ok well I went for the new master cylinder and reporting back - it all went smooth and working well. I don't know if the difference is enough to justify swapping if you don't need one already, but it was $20 cheaper so definitely a bonus on the parts cost if you're shopping!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online