Massive smoke on startup

HizAndHerz

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
I'm trying to resurrect my 9-7x. New problem: massive blue smoke from the exhaust on startup. Goes away within a minute of driving.

A couple of years ago I had a top machine shop rebuild the heads while I replaced the trashed AFM lifters, so I doubt it is valve stem seals unless one or more popped off. From what I understand it could be the PCV baffle in the valve cover. What does that failure look like? Does the baffle become dislodged?

I found this video that looks exactly like my problem. The guy posted a follow-on video explaining that it was the valve cover.

Any thoughts?

[Edit] I went ahead and ordered a valve cover that should arrive on Saturday. If it isn't the problem, I'll take it back.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Quite possibly it's the PCV in the valve cover. It's been blamed for oil consumption. Some also use catch cans.

HizAndHerz

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Shablam! Knocked that problem out in 20 minutes! I can't believe it, but the $80 Dorman valve cover fixed the absolutely massive smoke problem on startup. The old valve cover got taken out in the trash before I could analyze how it failed -- there was nothing obviously wrong when I took it out.

On to the next problem... Intermittent whine when cruising at moderate speeds. I'm thinking wheel hubs.

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
I'm trying to resurrect my 9-7x. New problem: massive blue smoke from the exhaust on startup. Goes away within a minute of driving.

A couple of years ago I had a top machine shop rebuild the heads while I replaced the trashed AFM lifters, so I doubt it is valve stem seals unless one or more popped off. From what I understand it could be the PCV baffle in the valve cover. What does that failure look like? Does the baffle become dislodged?

I found this video that looks exactly like my problem. The guy posted a follow-on video explaining that it was the valve cover.

Any thoughts?

[Edit] I went ahead and ordered a valve cover that should arrive on Saturday. If it isn't the problem, I'll take it back.
Mine is doing same thing which valve cover did you replace? or both?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher