Maintenance Checklist

DeltonRushing

Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I recently met a lady with a 2006 Trailblazer EXT and she asked me if I could do a tune up on it. She said that she has had new brakes and rotors all around, coolant flush, transmission flush, rear differential fluid change and the basic oil change. It has 108,000 Miles, here is a list of things I have planned, if I missed anything or you have any suggestions then please reply. Thanks!

• Replace Spark Plugs
  • Clean Throttle Body
  • Change oil and oil filter (Mobil 1 5W-30 w/ ACDelco Filter
  • Replace Fuel Filter
  • Remove the resonator (Trash Can)
  • Replace O2 Sensors
  • Replace Drive Belt

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
DeltonRushing said:
I recently met a lady with a 2006 Trailblazer EXT and she asked me if I could do a tune up on it. She said that she has had new brakes and rotors all around, coolant flush, transmission flush, rear differential fluid change and the basic oil change. It has 108,000 Miles, here is a list of things I have planned, if I missed anything or you have any suggestions then please reply. Thanks!

• Replace Spark Plugs
  • Clean Throttle Body
  • Change oil and oil filter (Mobil 1 5W-30 w/ ACDelco Filter
  • Replace Fuel Filter
  • Remove the resonator (Trash Can)
  • Replace O2 Sensors
  • Replace Drive Belt

Is it 4wd? Front diff and transfer case should be changed

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Her 06 doesn't have a serviceable fuel filter, other then that, nice list.:cool:

I'd suggest doing the thermostat when doing the coolant flush (if it is the original).

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Brake and power steering fluid needs to be flushed. Replace idler and tensioner pulleys. Degrease engine and clean radiator. Clean and inspect CPAS for leaking oil at connector and for obstructed/missing screens. Replace if you have any of that. Tighten Camshaft Position Sensor bolt if needed. Lube door hinges and door checks. Lube brake pedal linkage/pivot points under dash. Silicone all weatherstripping.

Replace shocks with Bilstien HD all around.

Clean battery bolts and underneath boots. Replace if bolts are stripped. Test and inspect battery. 4-5 years is usually time to get a new one.

Replace ignition switch.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
air filter

also may want to drop the transmission pan and change the transmission filter, (and clean off the magnet and pan) if the service place only flushed.

also worth a close look at suspension components,

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
meerschm said:
also may want to drop the transmission pan and change the transmission filter, (and clean off the magnet and pan) if the service place only flushed.

The flush cleans the filter so that's not really necessary until another 30K. And the only reason to drop the pan is to clean the magnet which besides being full of metal won't cause any problems in and of itself.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Please tell me if this is correct:
Trans fluid is sucked from the pan, through the filter, into and through the trans.
From the trans it goes to the cooler in the radiator, then back to the pan.

If the above is true, the only way that a flush will clean out the filter is with a reverse flush. :confused:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Please tell me if this is correct:
Trans fluid is sucked from the pan, through the filter, into and through the trans.
From the trans it goes to the cooler in the radiator, then back to the pan.

If the above is true, the only way that a flush will clean out the filter is with a reverse flush. :confused:

What's this preoccupation with the transmission filter? 90% of transmission failures are due to overheating and a lack of fluid change....not filter change. The filter will last a long time.

A trans flush utilizes solvent to dissolve deposits from the torque converter and valve bodies and filter. It is done in the direction of fluid flow.

I had a flush done at the GM dealership and my fluid is pink with no debris in it. So the filter is doing just fine.

In reality doing a flush through the cooler lines yourself or even just a partial pan drain and fill could be more hazardous rather than using the solvent based machine method the dealer uses. If solvent isn't used then something could flake off later on down the road. Better to flush it with solvent then not.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
CaptainXL said:
What's this preoccupation with the transmission filter? 90% of transmission failures are due to overheating and a lack of fluid change....not filter change. The filter will last a long time.

A trans flush utilizes solvent to dissolve deposits from the torque converter and valve bodies and filter. It is done in the direction of fluid flow.

I had a flush done at the GM dealership and my fluid is pink with no debris in it. So the filter is doing just fine.

In reality doing a flush through the cooler lines yourself or even just a partial pan drain and fill could be more hazardous rather than using the solvent based machine method the dealer uses. If solvent isn't used then something could flake off later on down the road. Better to flush it with solvent then not.

not so much a preoccupation, but an observation.

Gm recommended service at 100k miles is to drop pan, clean out, and change filter, then refill fluid to the proper level. part of this is to examine the pan to see what the residue looks like. (fine particles are ok, metal shavings not so much)

my pan had a nice coating of particulates after 40k, and the magnet had a thick coat of magnetic particles which needed to be cleaned.

if you forward flushed, particulates which accumulated in the pan are either still in the pan, or stuck on the dirty side of your filter. you may not have any problems, but this can reduce the capacity of the filter. leaving the stack of magnetic particles on the magnet also increases the surface area and decreases the magnetic field available to catch more from the fluid. (not a huge reduction, but some...) the magnet is there to make life easier on the filter.

I am not convinced that your dealer flush uses any solvent other than the new fluid. more of a fluid exchange. they might put some additional solvent in the trans before the exchange, but this cannot be hugely different than the fluid. (how would it be removed?) a small amount of whatever solvent they use will end up mixed with the new fluid, so nothing too caustic is advised.

I looked around and all the machines I see on the web are fluid exchangers. the GM service manual discusses use of a flush and flow machine to use to verify the radiator mounted trans cooler allows enough flow for effective cooling. if you can post a link to a machine that has separate container for solvent to flush transmission out, I would be happy to learn of it.

You are welcome to skip the drop and filter change if you like. not sure how many folks have had blocked trans filters which cause problems, or had filter failure which allowed bypass of particulates through the transmission.

the most conservative path would be to change the filter, clean the pan and exchange the fluid. (after use of a "flushing solvent" if desired.)

DeltonRushing

Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Her 06 doesn't have a serviceable fuel filter, other then that, nice list.:cool:

I'd suggest doing the thermostat when doing the coolant flush (if it is the original).

I forgot to mention that she just had it replaced

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online