MAF cleaning and PCM Questions

Envoy_04

Original poster
Member
Jul 1, 2013
749
Hi guys,

I gotta start by saying I love this forum! Tons of good info here, and it makes working on my Envoy 10 times easier!! :thumbsup:

I have a couple of questions regarding the MAF on my mom's 06, I just serviced the K&N on it and LIGHTLY oiled it, and I cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF Cleaner for the first time I think it's ever been done (surprisingly clean), and I'm gonna put it all back together tomorrow. My questions are:

1)After I put it all back together do I need to reset the PCM? and

2)It's got a PCMofNC tune, as does mine, but I've never needed to clear the PCM yet. Can I reset it like a stock PCM and not hurt the programming?

Thanks in advance!
 

Wooluf1952

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,663
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Envoy_04 said:
Hi guys,

I gotta start by saying I love this forum! Tons of good info here, and it makes working on my Envoy 10 times easier!! :thumbsup:

I have a couple of questions regarding the MAF on my mom's 06, I just serviced the K&N on it and LIGHTLY oiled it, and I cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF Cleaner for the first time I think it's ever been done (surprisingly clean), and I'm gonna put it all back together tomorrow. My questions are:

1)After I put it all back together do I need to reset the PCM? and

2)It's got a PCMofNC tune, as does mine, but I've never needed to clear the PCM yet. Can I reset it like a stock PCM and not hurt the programming?

Thanks in advance!

:tiphat: :tiphat: Welcome :tiphat:


In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/218-welcome-to-gmtnationcom-heres-the-story/


I don't believe you need to reset the PCM, but if you do, the tune won't be affected.
If the throttle body is dirty and you reset the PCM, you may have problems with the idle until it relearns to run with a dirty t-body or you remove and clean the t-body.
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
When I clean my TB and MAF sensor at the same time I will reset the PCM by pulling fuse #10 and #28. Leave them out for 15 minutes and reinstall after maintenance is complete. Better option than disconnecting the battery.

May03LT has a video going over the side effects from disconnecting the battery. When I do a filter cleaning and MAF sensor cleaning, I have not reset the PCM and have not had any issues. I am sure it would not hurt either way. I just did not see a point in resetting the PCM.

Welcome to the Nation by the way. :thumbsup:
 

Envoy_04

Original poster
Member
Jul 1, 2013
749
Thanks for the replies and the welcome! I cleaned the TB a few thousand miles ago and I don't think it's dirty yet. Good to know I can reset the tuned PCMs normally as well, though I can proceed for now without a reset. By the way dmanns67, good to see a fellow West Virginian on here!
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
Envoy_04 said:
By the way dmanns67, good to see a fellow West Virginian on here!

Sorry I missed that :duh: I only looked at your make and model, not location. So far you are the only active member I have seen from WV. Although, I have only been in WV for about a year. I moved up here from NC for work.
 

mapanch

Member
Dec 2, 2011
333
Envoy_04 said:
good to see a fellow West Virginian on here!

I'm close to WV. Live across the river from Wheeling (Benwood). Not many active members in this area at all.
 

Envoy_04

Original poster
Member
Jul 1, 2013
749
mapanch said:
I'm close to WV. Live across the river from Wheeling (Benwood). Not many active members in this area at all.

Glad there are at least some of us! I don't make it up there as often as I'd like, just once or twice a year to Cabela's. Spend the majority of my time a bit further South and a little East up in Morgantown.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,229
Posts
637,063
Members
18,390
Latest member
jgriff

Members Online