'M*A*S*H' Star Harry Morgan Dies at Age 96

Ghoster

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
A great actor from one of my most favorite tv shows.

'M*A*S*H' Star Harry Morgan Dies at Age 96
View attachment 16852

Emmy-winning character actor Harry Morgan, whose portrayal of the fatherly Col. Potter on television's "M*A*S*H" highlighted a show business career that included nine other TV series, 50 films and the Broadway stage, died Wednesday. He was 96.

His daughter-in-law, Beth Morgan, told The Associated Press the actor died at his home in Brentwood, California, after having pneumonia.

Morgan appeared in mostly supporting roles on the big screen, playing opposite such stars as Henry Fonda, John Wayne, James Garner, Elvis Presley and Dan Aykroyd.

On television, he was more the comedic co-star, including roles on "December Bride," its spin-off "Pete and Gladys," as Sgt. Joe Friday's loyal partner in later "Dragnet" episodes and on CBS-TV's long-running "M*A*S*H" series, for which he earned an Emmy award in 1980.

Yet acting wasn't Morgan's first career choice.

Born in Detroit in 1915, Morgan was studying pre-law at the University of Chicago when public speaking classes sparked his interest in the stage. Before long, he was working with a little theater group in Washington, followed by a two-year stint on Broadway in the original production of "Golden Boy," with Karl Malden and Lee J. Cobb.

Morgan made his way to Hollywood in 1942 "without any assurance that I would find work," he said in a 1976 interview with The Associated Press.

"I didn't have enough money to go back East, so I stayed around finding jobs mainly out of friendships."

He signed a contract with 20th Century Fox after a talent scout spotted him in the one-act play, "Hello, Out There."

One of his earliest films was "The Ox Bow Incident" in 1943 with Fonda. Other films included: "High Noon," "What Price Glory," "Support Your Local Sheriff," "The Apple Dumpling Gang" and "The Shootist."

Morgan began his television career in 1954 when the medium was in its infancy.

"Television allowed me to kick the Hollywood habit of typing an actor in certain roles," Morgan said, referring to his typical sidekick or sheriff portrayals on the big screen

In "December Bride," his first TV series, Morgan played Pete Porter. The CBS series lasted from 1954-1959, when he went on to star in his own series, "Pete and Gladys," a spinoff of "December Bride."

Demonstrating his diversity as a character actor and comedian, Morgan also starred in "The Richard Boone Show," "Kentucky Jones" and "Dragnet."

But it was his role as Col. Sherman Porter on "M*A*S*H" for which Morgan became best known.

"M*A*S*H was so damned good," Morgan told the AP. "I didn't think they could keep the level so high."

His acting career didn't stop after the popular series left the air in 1983 after 11 years -- one of television's most successful prime-time runs. Morgan went on to appear in several made-for-TV movies and other television series, such as "AfterM*A*S*H" and "Blacke's Magic."

When he was not on the set, Morgan enjoyed reading books about the legal profession and poetry. He also liked horses, which he once raised on his Northern California ranch.

Morgan is survived by his second wife, Barbara, and four sons from both marriages: Chris, Charlie, Paul and Danny.

FULL STORY

Attachments

• harrymorganthen.jpg
    harrymorganthen.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 27

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Wow! There goes another of the good ones.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
What a life he had! At least we have him in the re-runs. We miss you Colonel....

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I watched a few episodes on dvd last night. One was when he was the crazy two star general few years before he became potter. I always wanted to goto the outdoor set that burned down in the California mountains. I watched all the Dragnet episodes while it was on Netflix streaming.

Ghoster

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Wex said:
I watched a few episodes on dvd last night. One was when he was the crazy two star general few years before he became potter. I always wanted to goto the outdoor set that burned down in the California mountains. I watched all the Dragnet episodes while it was on Netflix streaming.

"still fit to play half back at the point!" Great episode.:cool:

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
im a little young but still loved the show maybe cause while my mom was pregnant with me thats all she watched :undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.