Loss of power

tiffi221986

Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Canada
I am driving a 2008 Envoy and recently I have run into an issue that when I am turning I lose throttle and brakes. I replaced my axle thinking maybe that would have something to do with it but nothing changed.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sounds like a ABS wheel speed sensor (HUB) maybe dropping out causing stabilitrak to kick in, which would drop throttle response, and engage brakes because the system thinks your in a skid.

Having this same issue currently on my Saturn and Aztek...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Investigate Post #5 in the link below (IF) the Vehicle tries to die as you are making left turns. The Left Turn Signal ... The Left Headlight ...and The Fuel Pump relay ALL share a Common Ground (G-10) on the Engine Block of the GM 4.2L Motor.

If in poor corroded or rusted condition, as Amperage Increases... Voltage Decreases... it WILL Draw down Too Much Amperage and allow the Fuel Pump Relay to Drop Off Line, stopping the Fuel Pump causing a momentary Drop in Fuel Pressure needed to keep the Engine Running enough to stall the motor:

2002GROUNDWIRES.jpg
Engine Grounds .jpgGround 1.jpgCORRODEDG110GROUNDWORSTjpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tiffi221986

tiffi221986

Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Canada
Investigate Post #5 in the link below (IF) the Vehicle tries to die as you are making left turns. The Left Turn Signal ... The Left Headlight ...and The Fuel Pump relay ALL share a Common Ground that if in poor condition... WILL Draw down Too Much Amperage and allow the Fuel Pump Relay to Drop Off and stop the Fuel Pump and allow the Fuel Pressure needed to keep the Engine Running to wane enough to stall the motor:

View attachment 108865
I'm going out to verify if it happens when turning both left and right or just left.

Reactions: mrrsm

tiffi221986

Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Canada
When turning both directions the traction light comes on and it drops the power and brakes / and are activating.
If I hold the bottom to turn off the stability system it seems to drive fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230629-164138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230629-164138_Chrome.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yeap.. Hub Bearing, or the wiring for it, has gone bad. The fronts are usually the only ones that go bad.

Its a easy job (for me anyways). Just replace the hub bearings, as they come with the related wiring, and you should be good.

Good time to check your ball joints, brake pads, tie rod ends, and control arm bushings, while you are in there.

I would start by getting a good scanner, and having the hub speed drop out verified.

tiffi221986

Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Canada
Yeap.. Hub Bearing, or the wiring for it, has gone bad. The fronts are usually the only ones that go bad.

Its a easy job (for me anyways). Just replace the hub bearings, as they come with the related wiring, and you should be good.

Good time to check your ball joints, brake pads, tie rod ends, and control arm bushings, while you are in there.

I would start by getting a good scanner, and having the hub speed drop out verified.
Off to get the scanner now and will see which hub has the speed drop to be replaced
Thank you

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Once you figure out which bearing(s) has gone bad, and you take it apart, you being in Canada, make sure you take a wire brush, and brush the threads off that you can reach on the front side of the HUB. There should be like a 1/4 inch sticking out, behind the HUB face. Once you have brushed off as much rust as you can reach, spray it down liberally with some sort of penetrating lube.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online