Losing my mechanic at year end...thinking I should replace some parts

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
I don't have good mechanical skills so most of my Voy repair has been done by the pros. My mechanic of two years is retiring at year end and leaving the area. He's a Cadillac mechanic and does superb work on the side at a GREAT price. Thinking I should have him do a few things before he hangs it up. The Voy has 175K now and I'm considering the following even though there are no symptoms right now:

spark plugs...last set done at 90K (he can check coils etc while in there)
water pump....never replaced
fan clutch....replaced at 40K
sway bar links....definite (he already did BJs, control arms and shocks)
belts and hoses if needed

Am I nuts? Would you add anything to the list? Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not nuts at all. Are you current on all fluids?

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
yes...current on fluids but may have him do the transfer case because it will be due next. Will have him inspect the engine mounts also. Current set installed at 90K.

97blazer

Nov 23, 2012
I would agree but have you asked your mechanic? Have a discussion with him about your concerns. I'd bet he'll agree but with maybe a change or 2. Based on your info it looks like a good plan.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Does retiring mean he's moving? Maybe he'll be willing to continue with side jobs as a hobby for a little extra cash.

Worth the talk.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
as stated above, i would just have him look things over one last time and go from there... but, im a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

things happen that you can never be prepared for or even look for... like your new ball joints... they could go tomorrow you know... but it looks like you have a good list, and that you've been on top of the maintenance of your ride... so i would have the mechanic check things out.. like a point inspection that delaerships would do (or not due for lack of a better term lol)

my warranty will expire in Feb, so i'm in the same boat as you and i'll be talkin to the dealership to check things over one last time...

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
He's moving out of the area....that's the problem. Appreciate the suggestions. Anything could go next at 10 years and 175K but I'm optimistic and still really like the truck. Looked at an 06 Denali EXT with 71K and decided I liked my ride better. Hate the Denali's integrated running boards that make you step WAY out when exiting since when stock, these trucks are not high. Great form....terrible function.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online