Looking to upgrade

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
So i'm thinking of going from my i6 ext to a v8 5.3. Anybody know what kind of mileage i would get on an 06 swb?

On second thought, this probably shouldnt be in this thread.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Same mileage but you will be stuck with a bunch more torque.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Jkust said:
Same mileage but you will be stuck with a bunch more torque.

ah crap, more torque? WTH am i gonna do with that?:wootwoot:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
If you like the platform, I'd say go for it. You can most likely trade in for a better, lower mileage vehicle for not too much $. The subtle rumble of the 5.3 without the resonator can is so nice, and also if you get the right year you'll have the DOD cylinder deactivation. Plus more towing ability if that's important to you.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
willn513 said:
If you like the platform, I'd say go for it. You can most likely trade in for a better, lower mileage vehicle for not too much $. The subtle rumble of the 5.3 without the resonator can is so nice, and also if you get the right year you'll have the DOD cylinder deactivation. Plus more towing ability if that's important to you.

Freaking love the platform. Though, i do miss my 01 jimmy.

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
ours gets about the same as a 6cyl truck with added towing capacity.i love the sound of our truck with no resonator.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Hook a heavy boat up to the 5.3 and you really notice the difference and the other time you really notice is at highway speeds when you need to instantly go 100mph. I sometimes can't believe how well these dinasaurs perform at high speeds.
While the 4.2 likes to wind up from a stop, the 5.3 doesn't shine much more from a standstill daily driving.
That said, I'd off load yours and buy a 5.3 equipped one now that they are a dime a dozen given the platform is so old. The hardest part about it is making the decision in your head and following through. The reason I've had three 5.3 equipped 360's is because they are just so cheap for what you get (and I tow stuff). I don't think there is a better truck with more functionality for so little money out there.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Jkust said:
Hook a heavy boat up to the 5.3 and you really notice the difference and the other time you really notice is at highway speeds when you need to instantly go 100mph. I sometimes can't believe how well these dinasaurs perform at high speeds.
While the 4.2 likes to wind up from a stop, the 5.3 doesn't shine much more from a standstill daily driving.
That said, I'd off load yours and buy a 5.3 equipped one now that they are a dime a dozen given the platform is so old. The hardest part about it is making the decision in your head and following through. The reason I've had three 5.3 equipped 360's is because they are just so cheap for what you get (and I tow stuff). I don't think there is a better truck with more functionality for so little money out there.

around here the 5.3 4x4 are hard to find.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Jkust said:
The hardest part about it is making the decision in your head and following through. The reason I've had three 5.3 equipped 360's is because they are just so cheap for what you get (and I tow stuff). I don't think there is a better truck with more functionality for so little money out there.

I applied for a loan through the bank i work for yesterday, hopefully it will go through, as i would get a really good rate on it for being an employee. Otherwise, i will call the credit union that currently owns my loan if my bank turns me down.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
navigator said:
around here the 5.3 4x4 are hard to find.

Around here a non 4x4 is rare and hard to sell if you came from the south and attempt to sell. A G80/G86, 3.73, 4x4, V8 with traction control and stabilitrac is a formitable truck in the snow in all of its iterations.

dcmtnbkr said:
I applied for a loan through the bank i work for yesterday, hopefully it will go through, as i would get a really good rate on it for being an employee. Otherwise, i will call the credit union that currently owns my loan if my bank turns me down.

Sorry, I totally forgot about financing.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Does being an EXT really affect mileage that much? I know we're on winter-blend gas here, but I'm only averaging around 13 mpg. Granted, it may be that I don't drive far at a time, so everything may not be heating up sufficiently and being as efficient as it can. I expected better mileage having seen everyone's reports here and looking at the statistical averages for the engine/platform. So far, I have been sorely disappointed. I have the 3.73 rear gear, so that hurts cruise rpm, but the engine is a DOD model, so that should help. The best I ever got on trip back in September (or October??) was 17 hwy mpg. No issues reported on Torque. The only issue of note is when it is very humid, I have massive misfires on cylinder 2 that clear up when the engine warms up. My previous GM vehicle (C1500 with a 4.3) had this issue when the coil was going bad and was not strong enough to give good spark in high humidity. New coil, bam, good to go. Went through 3 in the 8 years I owned it.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
C-ya said:
Does being an EXT really affect mileage that much? I know we're on winter-blend gas here, but I'm only averaging around 13 mpg. Granted, it may be that I don't drive far at a time, so everything may not be heating up sufficiently and being as efficient as it can. I expected better mileage having seen everyone's reports here and looking at the statistical averages for the engine/platform. So far, I have been sorely disappointed. I have the 3.73 rear gear, so that hurts cruise rpm, but the engine is a DOD model, so that should help. The best I ever got on trip back in September (or October??) was 17 hwy mpg. No issues reported on Torque. The only issue of note is when it is very humid, I have massive misfires on cylinder 2 that clear up when the engine warms up. My previous GM vehicle (C1500 with a 4.3) had this issue when the coil was going bad and was not strong enough to give good spark in high humidity. New coil, bam, good to go. Went through 3 in the 8 years I owned it.

The difference in weight isn't hardly anything between the EXT and the heaviest SWB version (they all differ). Also then I've had non-DOD Rainier and with DOD rainier and it literally is like a 5% mileage increase...so barely noticable. My worst tank on this winter was like maybe 12mpg's and I think they must have made the change to spring blend gas since the last fillup it shot back up to normal 18 mpg's...like someone turned a switch on. 17 mpg for all highway driving seems a bit low to me but for me just adding a little city driving to the tank and the mpg's drop like a stone. Bottom line...our trucks suck for mileage. Keep in mind the Consumer Reports testing for the Lambda series of crossovers such as the Traverse, Enclave and Acadia is 16mpg's. Point being 17 isn't all that bad when the newest technology supposid better mpg's crossover as a reason to kill off our trucks is worse.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
JK, you're prolly right - they just suck. I know I had some city driving in that 17 mpg trip, so that makes sense. I still like the truck, so I'll deal with whatever the mileage is.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
C-ya said:
JK, you're prolly right - they just suck. I know I had some city driving in that 17 mpg trip, so that makes sense. I still like the truck, so I'll deal with whatever the mileage is.

Agreed, you drive an truck based anything and your going to pay a lot for gas. I'm waiting for v8 truck mileage to be 30mpg on the highway...but don't think that's ever gonna happen.

dcmtnbkr said:

There's a couple members with them here. A neat concept I think but no third row of seats...I'd get more use out of having the third row and removing the seats if needed versus a dedicated cargo area. None the less I've always thought it was a really cool idea. I've seen maybe 3 in my life on the roads versus in a traffic jam with 5 of our platform with seats in the same line.

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
C-ya said:

that is not any worse than i get with my 2003 envoy I6 ext. average 13mpg in the winter all city driving. on long trips with no loads i i average 19 to 19.5mpg. i do notice a differnece in hp over the 2006 swb trailblazer I6 that the ex took and ended up getting repoed

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Jkust said:
There's a couple members with them here. A neat concept I think but no third row of seats...I'd get more use out of having the third row and removing the seats if needed versus a dedicated cargo area. None the less I've always thought it was a really cool idea. I've seen maybe 3 in my life on the roads versus in a traffic jam with 5 of our platform with seats in the same line.

I can say I have seen every version here where I am. Two different XUV's, Saabs, Buicks, tons of GMC and Chevy 360s and 370s, a couple of SS's and one Isuzu. Shame they quit selling something that is as popular as these things are.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
htseat2000 said:
that is not any worse than i get with my 2003 envoy I6 ext. average 13mpg in the winter all city driving. on long trips with no loads i i average 19 to 19.5mpg. i do notice a differnece in hp over the 2006 swb trailblazer I6 that the ex took and ended up getting repoed

Good to know I'm not alone in the (lack of) mileage, then.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Picked up an 06 with the 5.3

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Awesome...post up some pics.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Here you go :smile:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363122710630.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363122710630.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 8
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363122741919.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363122741919.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 8
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363122756647.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363122756647.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 8

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Looks great, we've considered plunking down some cash for one, but we haven't found an 5.3L around for sale that wasn't an EXT. Kind of sucks becuase we have a optioned out LTZ and I want to trade up for the full package, not just an engine. I'm holding out hope. Nice score there! :thumbsup:

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
mikekey said:
Looks great, we've considered plunking down some cash for one, but we haven't found an 5.3L around for sale that wasn't an EXT. Kind of sucks becuase we have a optioned out LTZ and I want to trade up for the full package, not just an engine. I'm holding out hope. Nice score there! :thumbsup:

What's the difference between and LS and an LTZ? I know the LS is a base model, but what are the differences? Also, i had to drive 3 hours for mine, lol

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
mikekey said:

Get yourself a 9-7...way, way, nicer of a truck and the 5.3's are common and they only come with two options being navigation and dvd (besides the engine choice). Can't believe I originally snubbed them when with the other two 360's i've bought. That was stupid. You just have to be fine with 4awd but again we use our 360's to the max, towing and steep boat ramps, snow, etc, and it kicks ass.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Jkust said:
Get yourself a 9-7...way, way, nicer of a truck and the 5.3's are common and they only come with two options being navigation and dvd (besides the engine choice). Can't believe I originally snubbed them when with the other two 360's i've bought. That was stupid. You just have to be fine with 4awd but again we use our 360's to the max, towing and steep boat ramps, snow, etc, and it kicks ass.

I looked at them, but I like the looks of the tb's better. Very nice interiors though, that's for sure

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
dcmtnbkr said:
I looked at them, but I like the looks of the tb's better. Very nice interiors though, that's for sure

The interior is the draw...but the rest of the truck is smoother and more contemoprary for an 11 year old platform. Also, there are dozens of other unseen upgrades you don't even know exist on them. I get compliments on it all the time and even the kids say it looks like a rich person's car which is funny since it was so cheap. Understand that is in an area where everone is wealthy but the kids don't even realize it. The 9-7 is the closest thing to a free lunch I've bought in a long time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online