Looking for help with head unit install

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Hi guys! I was wondering if there was anyone located in the Philadelphia area that would install my head unit for me and give me some advice on the rest of my system. A couple of my friends have had bad luck with best buy and I would rather pay someone who has done it already to their own truck. Let me know! Thanks
-Chris

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Not to be that guy buttttt, what stopping you from doing it yourself. GMTnation can help you through every step, invite a friend and save your $$$
The most difficult part of a HU install on a TB is the dash bezel removal and even that is a socket and a screwdriver. Just sayiiinnn

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Hey thanks guys. I'm getting the head unit from crutchfield and they include instructions etc. I guess I'll take a look at it when I comes to see if it's something I can tackle myself. Being 17 this is my first car so I don't have any experience with car audio. I'm pretty mechanically inclined though so with alittle luck I don't see why I couldn't do it my self! Thanks guys!

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I will get you a step by step I started when I was 16 with walmart speakers, It leads to an addiction watch out.
DSCF5021.jpg
\
Give it time yoiur tb will be loaded soon. :rotfl:

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Haha thanks man I really appreciate it! You guys are great I would have really struggled without this advice

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
did crutchfield set you up with the proper wire harness????

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Yeah they did its the one that retains all the factory chims etc. it's 40 bucks. I called them and they were very helpful too

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Sputnik312 said:
Yeah they did its the one that retains all the factory chims etc. it's 40 bucks. I called them and they were very helpful too

damn $40 bucks!!!! those suckers have come down in price... i paid over $90 for mine 2 years ago :hissyfit::rotfl:

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Boricua SS said:
damn $40 bucks!!!! those suckers have come down in price... i paid over $90 for mine 2 years ago :hissyfit::rotfl:

Crutchfield gives you 50% off the interface when you purchase the head unit from them. That's why it seems so inexpensive.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Sputnik312 said:
Hi guys! I was wondering if there was anyone located in the Philadelphia area that would install my head unit for me and give me some advice on the rest of my system.

I'm about 2 hours south of you. If you can't figure it out let me know. Car audio is pretty simple once you learn the basics. The head unit should be a pretty straight forward install. What else are you looking for advice on?

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm also looking to add either one 10 or 12 inch sub but I'm alittle confused on wiring and what size amp to use. One of my friends has 1 12 with a 800 watt in his gti and the bass is just too much for the stock speakers, you can barely here the vocals when the bass drops. I spent a good amount time researching but I kinda wanted to meet up with someone on here who has a system in their tb to make sure I do everything correctly. Although unless someone lives nearby it would just be a waste of time.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Sputnik312 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm also looking to add either one 10 or 12 inch sub but I'm alittle confused on wiring and what size amp to use. One of my friends has 1 12 with a 800 watt in his gti and the bass is just too much for the stock speakers, you can barely here the vocals when the bass drops. I spent a good amount time researching but I kinda wanted to meet up with someone on here who has a system in their tb to make sure I do everything correctly. Although unless someone lives nearby it would just be a waste of time.

Just to get you a grasp of what you can look forward too. Pretty simple as well, with the amount of bass your looking for.
#1 you can run a 4awg wire from the positive post in the rear fuse block to you amp location, So no firewall nonsense like running from the battery.
#2 Run a 18-22g wire from the fuse block to gain an amp turn on signal(IGN 12v source)
#3 Then some RCA cables for your sound signal from the back of your headunit to the amp, running underneath your door step trim.
#4. Run a ground wire plug it all in and your good to go.

For your bass
Kicker C12 with a 200rms amp. And you will be made.

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Damn thanks a lot man I really appreciate it. I defiantly don't want to run a wire all the way to the front battery. So your advice is perfect. Thanks! What is the max amount of power we can pull from the rear fuse box?

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Sputnik312 said:
Damn thanks a lot man I really appreciate it. I defiantly don't want to run a wire all the way to the front battery. So your advice is perfect. Thanks! What is the max amount of power we can pull from the rear fuse box?

Well this is where this is a matter of opinion. Me personally, if it was my truck, wouldn't run any amp from the rear fuse box, regardless of the size. Running a wire from the front battery takes about an hour and there are how-to's posted on here. Again, you'll find people here who have done it, and you'll find people here who say don't do it. Bottom line is GM did not run a wire big enough to power everything in the rear fuse box AND aftermarket equipment. It's one thing pulling the remote wire from the rear fuse box because that only signals the amp to turn on, but running the main power of the amp is a whole other ball game. I would have no part in it, nor would I recommend it, nor would I give advice on how to do it. That's just my :twocents:!

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
Boricua SS said:

$110 about the same time.. and the damn thing already broke..I get no chimes but the radio still turns on and off so I'm ok.

The problem with tapping into the back fuse box is not so much the wire as is the load on the 125amp fuse in the front that powers the fuse box in the back. is like $125 to $150 fuse. 1.

The little box crutchfield is sending you will already have where to plug your amp remote.
I understand about the too much bass, this is not an issue because your headunit will have a volume control for your sub, adjust your amp volume accordingly plus some amps will have a remote volume control, I believe they call it a bass volume control that you mount on your dash. If you not running massive power more than 1000 watts you can use an 8 gauge wire and be fine. don't get why you would use a four gauge tapped into the back fuse box but for each its own..

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
The instructions from crutchfield are pretty much straight forward they even come with pictures, and the wires are also color coated and have writing on them.

Here's what I would do if I was starting fresh.

1. Run 0G from the front battery (reason I say 0G is more then likely you'll find yourself wanting more power then what a 4G/8G can handle why pay for it twice. If you want to avoid going through the firewall run it along the frame and then to your amp location or if you do run it through the boot in the firewall make sure you go through the boot not on the outside of it you'll get a lot of unwanted engine noise.)

2. Ground to your frame not the seat bolts

3. Run your amp turn on from the HU (most patch cables come with a remote turn on anyways)

You can order your wire from here knukonceptz.com

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Alright thanks guys - 0 gauge wire isn't too expensive is it? Just a simple buy at radio shack?

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
You won't be able to find any car audio stuff at radio shack, I would buy it from that link I posted. That's what I run in my truck and it's great and very flexible.

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Decembersend said:
You won't be able to find any car audio stuff at radio shack, I would buy it from that link I posted. That's what I run in my truck and it's great and very flexible.

Ok sounds good thanks man! I guess it's better to always play it safe with the lower gauge

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
tbuckalew14 said:
If you're willing to take the drive, I can help you with the head unit install. I'm by no means a professional, but have always done my own head unit installs.

Hey man thanks a lot I might actually take you up on that offer. When my hu comes I'm gonna look through the Intructions and see how difficult it looks. I would much rather pay someone who has done it already then waste my money with some clown from bestbuy

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
Sputnik312 said:
Hey man thanks a lot I might actually take you up on that offer. When my hu comes I'm gonna look through the Intructions and see how difficult it looks. I would much rather pay someone who has done it already then waste my money with some clown from bestbuy

Not sure where in pheonixville you are exactly...but i'm about somewhere around 40-50 minutes from you. No need to pay me...just let me know when the HU comes in and shoot me a pm if you need a hand.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
Sputnik312 said:
Ok sounds good thanks man! I guess it's better to always play it safe with the lower gauge

I know it sounds weird but a 0G is a bigger cable then a 4G (lower gauge).

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
tbuckalew14 said:
Not sure where in pheonixville you are exactly...but i'm about somewhere around 40-50 minutes from you. No need to pay me...just let me know when the HU comes in and shoot me a pm if you need a hand.

Thanks a lot man! I'll let ya know if I need help. That could be a life saver

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Decembersend said:
I know it sounds weird but a 0G is a bigger cable then a 4G (lower gauge).

:yes: Lower gauge = bigger

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
I am 17 as well and at first the whole car stereo thing was like speaking chinese to me. First I went for a new head unit. I had the head unit for over a week before i actually installed it because I was unsure of all the different modules and wiring harnesses you could buy. Once I made my decision on what to get it only took me about an hour or two to get the head unit installed. In hind sight the HU install was really easy! Next was new door speakers because the cheep mexican speakers wern't cutting it and i got a good deal on some new ones. A few weeks ago I installed a sub with some coaching from a friend of mine who is really into car stereo stuff. I put in a Kicker Comp VR 8 with a 300watt kenwood amp. I ran 8gauge wire from the battery through the factory rubber boot to under the drivers seat where the amp is. I made a new rear cover for the floor compartment that the sub is mounted to and screwed it to the floor. Do plenty of research and things will start to click. It does seem overwhelming at first but in the end its enjoyable to do things yourself. If you want any pictures of what I did ill be happy to take some pictures and post them.

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Hey man thanks for the response Glad to see someone else is in the same boat! and yeah I'm actually thinking of a similar set-up! If you are willing to post pics that would be great!
Thanks dude

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
just for ideas this was my small install 5ch amp from my old LT hid everything
DSCF4228.jpg

Got a really good sound and rebound from this location angled up, a little intrusive but loved it
DSCF4240.jpg

DSCF4234.jpg

DSCF4227.jpg

whoever got that truck better be taking care

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Sorry for the long reply time but i couldnt get the pictures to upload and finally figured it out. Pretty typical head unit install. The sub is mounted to a 1/2 inch piece of mdf made to fit where the cargo cover goes. Its a kicker comp-vr 8. The amp is under the drivers seat with all the wires running under the carpet to the door sill plates. I have planet audio 8gauge wire since it is so much cheeper than monster and well the fancy rubber jacket doesn't help electons flow. I ended up poking a hole in the factory wire pass through to get the wire through. No pictures of the door speakers but there even easier than the head unit. There 4 screws and two wires each. If theres anything you would like pictures of specifically just let me know. And if you hqve any questions anyone here will be happy to help you. Good luck with the mods!

Attachments

• 20120916_180114.jpg
    20120916_180114.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20120916_180155.jpg
    20120916_180155.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20120916_180127.jpg
    20120916_180127.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20120924_203008.jpg
    20120924_203008.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20120924_203421.jpg
    20120924_203421.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20120924_203536.jpg
    20120924_203536.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20120924_203553.jpg
    20120924_203553.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5

Sputnik312

Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Hey thanks so much for the help man I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get started with my audio work now! I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online