Looking at some S-Series vehicles.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Trailblazer is paid off and I am ready for a change. Actually, I have been ready for a change for a while now. I have decided 2 things. I want something better on gas and I don't want another car payment. That leaves me looking at S10s and imports. The problems I have with the s series are the motor choices. The 2.2 really is underpowered and the 4.3 is a gas hog, though they are both guaranteed to get better mileage than my current ride. I am also thinking about getting an import(Civic, Sentra, Eclipse, etc) as my DD and getting a project truck like a C10 or an S10 to do an LSX swap. Don't get me wrong, I love GM. I would love to go bigger and more powerful as well, but it isn't in the cards right now. There are other things I need the money for, and that's a big reason for looking at the mini trucks. Besides that fact that it will help build other areas of the site. My fiance doesn't really have input other than "that looks ugly" or "it's cute"....wondering what everyone here thinks.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I don't see how the 4.3L V6 (LU3) or (LG3) would be better on gas. It will consume similar amounts of gas as our 4.2 (LL6). I would look at getting a nice cobalt, or focus. If you need something bigger for a DD look at the 2000-2005 impala, that would also be better gas mileage than our trucks, and be reasonable on the pocket book, especially if you go after a used police model.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
The rated fuel consumption of the 4.3 in 2nd gen s10s is 16 city and 21 highway. The 2002 4.2 is 14 and 20. Not a big difference, but its better. Surprisingly, the 2.2 is rated at 17 and 23(or 24, I forget).

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
My wife drives an 06 2 wheel drive Colorado with the 3.5 inline 5 cylinder automatic and 3.42 rear - mostly country back roads at 45 mph - she gets 21mpg - on an all highway trip we got 26 - at 45 mph in OD with the converter locked rpm's are only 13/14 hundred. It is an extended cab but still much lighter than our Envoy or Trailblazer and 2x2 means many less parts to spin.

Last week during a cold spell she started it to let it warm up before we went out - we never do that but I had the flu and she was feeling sorry for me - when I got in it I had to check the tach twice - I was sure it had stalled because I could not feel or hear the engine running - It was still running - We have had it a few years and it's been trouble free.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Still waiting for the title to get here, stupid GMAC(Ally, sorry). Been demodding the TB and it is as close to stock as it is going to get. It is very hard to keep it that way, I hate driving a stock vehicle. I haven't gotten one legitimate bite as a private sale. The more I look towards the dealership route, the harder it is to find a suitable replacement. Six years ago, I didn't really care about that kind of thing and I was too ignorant to know how much a dealership really ripping me off. Now I am fully aware as to how bad I am going to be getting taken on both ends, both the trade value and new vehicle price. That is farther compounded by the fact that I am straying away from payments, making it easy to see that I am not getting something of equal value. I really don't have the time for aggressive marketing, making the stealership a quick and easy solution. What do you think...take the hit for the greater aftermarket support? Wait for the right buyer? Enjoy having no payments on my truck for a while....turn it into a full out project DD?

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
smitty5150 said:
That leaves me looking at S10s
Are you talking pick up or SUV? My s-10 based Bravada (4.3) gets worse overall mileage than my 'Hoe (5.3). :crazy:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Every S-10 based vehicle I have owned got worse gas mileage than the TB. Even drove a few 4 bangers ones that got similar due to the engine screaming to produce power on the high way.

As much as I will end up paying for the TB, I am keeping this damn thing, even as a lawn ornament.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
Are you talking pick up or SUV? My s-10 based Bravada (4.3) gets worse overall mileage than my 'Hoe (5.3). :crazy:

I'm talking either or. Either way, mileage is only going to be 1-2 mpg increase at the most. Probably less, because I will end up doing a cam swap, etc. I will not get a 2.2....the mileage to power ratio is bs. I decided I'm not really into this vehicle change for fuel economy anymore....limits the possibilities far too much.

blazinlow89 said:
As much as I will end up paying for the TB, I am keeping this damn thing, even as a lawn ornament.

I have a total of $20k into this thing, not including service or any of the mods that I have done or undone. If I get 4-5k for it, I need to make sure it is for something that will last as long and be as enjoyable.

I'm not used to keeping something as long as I have....I get bored easily.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online