Left lo-beam headlight fails/burns

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I have a 2006 Trailblazer. bought it used about a year ago.

Two weeks ago, I noticed that the left low beam headlight wasn't working. opened it up to see what was up and found the connector a little toasted on one side.
Not planning on driving this thing for a long time so I put some electrical tape around the plastic and plugged in a new bulb and it worked fine until tonight.
I was driving and had to use my high beams. as I switched from hi beam to low beam to avoid blinding an oncoming driver, I noticed the left low beam kind of flicker and go out.

I haven't had chance to pull everything back apart, but I did switch the relays around (saw another article where this was often the culprit) but it didn't help. Guess I should spend the money and replace the connector , but I'd like to actually fix the root cause of the problem...if I knew what it was. Any ideas?

-Mike

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Slight oxidation of the connector increases the resistance which drastically increases the heat it self-generates. GM goofed on the design, and heavier-duty, high temp replacement connector harnesses are available. Put on one of those, sandpaper the lamp contacts a bit and reassemble it with bulb grease to keep the air out and you should be good for a longer time before it (inevitably) toasts itself again.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
the roadie said:
Slight oxidation of the connector increases the resistance which drastically increases the heat it self-generates. GM goofed on the design, and heavier-duty, high temp replacement connector harnesses are available. Put on one of those, sandpaper the lamp contacts a bit and reassemble it with bulb grease to keep the air out and you should be good for a longer time before it (inevitably) toasts itself again.

Makes sense...will do. Thanks!

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
got myself a connector but here's a possibly stupid question....do I just cut the old connector off and splice in on the existing wire close to where the plug was, or should I try to disassemble the light housing and splice it in further down? Hope it's the first option..'cos I can't figure out how to take the housing apart without a hammer....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online