LED taillights review

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Sparky said:
Those halo headlights have resistor boxes for the turns don't they?

Are they dual brightness LED or a separate row of brighter LEDs for the turn vs park?

Yeah they do. Plus they are dual brightness LED's.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
New working theory, the corner bulb is not dual brightness. I always hated that these lights retained this stupid bulb and failed to cover it. With the parking lamps off it just goes dim during each blink. With the lamps on, it struggles.

So now I'm going to see if I can find a replacement dual filament bulb or see if anyone around here has replaced it with an LED or removed it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
mikekey said:
New working theory, the corner bulb is not dual brightness. I always hated that these lights retained this stupid bulb and failed to cover it. With the parking lamps off it just goes dim during each blink. With the lamps on, it struggles.

So now I'm going to see if I can find a replacement dual filament bulb or see if anyone around here has replaced it with an LED or removed it.

You might as well remove it, it doesn't do a whole lot. You won't find any dual filament 194s, as the turn signal and parking light use the other connection as it's ground. So when the parking lights are on, and the turn signal is activated, the reverse flow of current turns the light off, which makes it appear to flash opposite the front turn signals.

If you go with LEDs, most of them will only work with one function or the other, for that reason. Although there are some non polarized 194 LEDs (I have a pair of white ones from Superbright LEDs I got years ago) you just have to do some hunting to find them. :twocents:

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Well with them removed the whole system hyper flashes. Right now I only get hyper flashing when the parking/headlamps are engaged. A little frustrating here, was trying to get a nice lighting setup going.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is a way to modify the flasher module to not hyper flash. Did it when I went to LEDs in front. I am currently going through a phone upgrade and the pics are on my old phone.

Please stand by....

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Mooseman said:
There is a way to modify the flasher module to not hyper flash. Did it when I went to LEDs in front. I am currently going through a phone upgrade and the pics are on my old phone.

Please stand by....

Thanks man, that might be the short cut I take.

On that note, as per the title, the lights are great looking! :thumbsup: The are manufactured by Eagle Eye, the same company that made my headlamps oddly enough. I'm pretty happy with the quality. They're very bright.

I'm in the middle of doing a front end suspension rebuild and had a ballast blow out, so I've got a new one and some spare bulbs coming from DDM, but I'm hoping to get back to these lights next week or two and do the dual tails mod to my harness and finish off the rear end with the avalanche LED mod as well. :thumbsup:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Found the pics about the mod to the flasher module. Basically, the ribbon inside is a comparator resistor. It uses this compare the resistance of the bulbs to this resistor. When the resistance is lower in the light circuit (when a bulb burns out), the resistance no longer matches and hyper flashes. By grinding down this resistor, you decrease the resistance. Eventually, you will match the resistance of the LEDs and will stop hyper flashing.

I had to use a Dremel to grind it down and in doing so, I broke it off from the board so I had to re-solder it. I think an easier way would be to remove it and solder in a strand of small wire. Tried without a resistor at all and the flasher wouldn't work, but it didn't damage it neither. Since I have load resistors with my rear lights, I still needed a fairly high resistance.

Attachments

• 20131030_122919 (Medium).jpg
    20131030_122919 (Medium).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20131030_122906 (Medium).jpg
    20131030_122906 (Medium).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Blckshdw

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Both my fronts and rears have load resistors built in. But something is still off. One other person reported a similar issue. Thanks a lot for this. One of my load resistors might be bad or something, but maybe I can fiddle with this to find a fix. :thumbsup:

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
I need to take a photo of the lights at night, but they're bright. I'm about to do the dual tails mod to the board next once my Avalanche LED 3rd brake light arrives.

[video=youtube;7LHkTVPOqc0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LHkTVPOqc0[/video]

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dual tails like dual brake and dual turn, or dual running lights?

Dual brake/turn can be done, but not dual running as there is no "dim" circuit on the turn signal.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
Dual tails like dual brake and dual turn, or dual running lights?

Dual brake/turn can be done, but not dual running as there is no "dim" circuit on the turn signal.

C'mon man, what do you think mine are? You have to mod the boards to do it, talk to May03LT.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It's like I always say... Where there's an LED, there's a way!! :rotfl:

OK, I don't always say that, but maybe I should start! :undecided:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those LEDs are sealed so you'll need to cut them open or something. If it's doable, please do post since I have the same ones and this would take care of my issue of the turn signals activating the parks. Might need some major changes to the circuits since one only does turn signal.

Feb 16, 2012
mikekey said:
I need to take a photo of the lights at night, but they're bright. I'm about to do the dual tails mod to the board next once my Avalanche LED 3rd brake light arrives.

I think daytime videos are better. On the warning light enthusiast forum, we mention that a lot. Lights ALWAYS appear bright at night, but the BETTER representation, is how they show up in the daytime.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
I've got the same tail lights on my SS-had them for about 4 years now with out a hitch.

I haven't had much of a chance to get on here to update all that I've been doing lately as I do everything myself (time poor)-ordering, taking orders, packing, shipping as well as powder coating and modding my own ride all while doing 2 weekly car shows. The lighting biz has grown exponentially and I get newer types in all the time for less than most anyone else. I think I have 12 different types now in just the 168/194 bulbs. Several types of plate lights from 4 SMDs to 48 and even the visor 3 SMD tubes. I'm now factory direct with 4 suppliers overseas.
I also have 3157 Cree SRCK white/amber switchbacks for the 02 owners. The new stuff exploding now is with the new Cree/driver headlights which are 3600 lumen (can also get them in 2400 and 1800). I have sold over 100 sets in just 2 months-they sell out before I even get them in.
Link: New CREE/ballast headlights - TBSSOWNERS.com Forums - The #1 TrailblazerSS Dedicated Owners Forum
And of course I have under the door ghost lights and can/will do custom logos as I have for the SS, SSS, and SSR guys. Also have done them for Dodge SR, SRT and SRT8. Mini Cooper S and some one off versions. And then the lighted stainless door sills are going on the next round for SS and Aero.
This is mine at a couple shows

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
C'mon man, what do you think mine are? You have to mod the boards to do it, talk to May03LT.

You have LED bulbs in yours right? Not the full aftermarket LED tails. There isn't even any wiring inside these tails for a dim circuit.

Not saying it couldn't be added, but it would be quite the project.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
You have LED bulbs in yours right? Not the full aftermarket LED tails. There isn't even any wiring inside these tails for a dim circuit.

Not saying it couldn't be added, but it would be quite the project.

Yeah I do. Well, I've seen your headlights, so I know you can do it if you put your mind to it! :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mooseman said:
Found the pics about the mod to the flasher module. Basically, the ribbon inside is a comparator resistor. It uses this compare the resistance of the bulbs to this resistor. When the resistance is lower in the light circuit (when a bulb burns out), the resistance no longer matches and hyper flashes. By grinding down this resistor, you decrease the resistance. Eventually, you will match the resistance of the LEDs and will stop hyper flashing.

I had to use a Dremel to grind it down and in doing so, I broke it off from the board so I had to re-solder it. I think an easier way would be to remove it and solder in a strand of small wire. Tried without a resistor at all and the flasher wouldn't work, but it didn't damage it neither. Since I have load resistors with my rear lights, I still needed a fairly high resistance.
Out of boredom, I tried to replicate this by desoldering the resistor and replacing it with a short piece of 20 AWG wire. I've got Depo tails in back, LED strips up front. Still ended up with hyperflash. :frown: So that means I need something smaller... Like the legs of an LED or something?

Here's a couple pics, just because...

LM487 on the left, OEM on the right
20140425_171058_zpsr0yc4ohy.jpg

20140425_171129_zpsuodj8nqj.jpg

Swapped the resistor with a piece of solid strand
20140426_133150_zpskw3mpsfl.jpg

20140426_135447_zps3d25hgv0.jpg

Reactions: dmanns67

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON