LED tailgate light bar

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I've been looking at getting the LED tailgate light bar but not sure which one to get. Ive read reviews from the OS and seems nobody is happy with the product they bought.

What would be the best one out there? Do they make them vehicle specific since we have the cutout for the spare tire and i dont want to block that hole. I saw one last night while i was out. It was on a silverado and it was one bar with a full red strip for driving and then when the truck went into reverse, it was a white strip. It even stayed on all white after the truck was in park. It looked awesome as perimeter lighting.

Thanks,
Kevin

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
I have the plasmaglow fire and ice one. It has the white lights for reverse. I've had it for about 5 years. 0 issues. A lot of people have issues with water getting in and killing some of the LEDs. I put silicone on the ends of mine to prevent this from happening.

I got one for my brother in law who did not take my advice with sealing the ends, and ended up returning his for a replacement(twice).

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
the common one is the fire and ice bar found ebay or other areas...

i had an optix 49" led bar from advance auto parrts and it lasted for a little over a year.. it did block my spare tire hole.. but i dont run with my spare on as i take my SS to the track.. so that didnt bother me... the bar cost me $40 bux from advance... i think anything over 50 or 60 bucks is too much

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I bought the 49" Rampage 5 function LED tailgate bar. It came with silicone in the ends, but I still got a bit of moisture in the driver's side. The 4 leftmost red LEDs are dead, however the white ones between them still work. :confused: Some months later, the 4 right most red LEDs are dead too, but the white ones between them also work fine. As for covering the spare access hole, I just mounted my bar slightly lower, so I could still fit the extensions through the opening. No problems other than the dead LEDs.

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Are these light bars you guys use clear plastic tubes with the lights inside? Some i have noticed look like a flexible strip with lights attached.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, it was a fairly rigid bar, with a clear plastic front, black plastic back, with five 3M adhesive pads.

100_0152.jpg

100_0153.jpg

100_0154.jpg

100_0156.jpg

My next one, I hope to get one of the flexible strips. They tend to cost more though.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
In my case, I had to open the lift gate to apply mine. It was a bit of a pain in the ass, making sure the ends were above the plastic step pads (mine have broken tabs, so they stick up higher than they should) and stay below the edge of the lift gate. With the flexible strip, there isn't that lip above the bar that has to be fit behind the gate and it's smaller, so in theory, should be able to be applied with the gate down much more easily.

Of course, if you're not familiar with applying flexible LED strips, then yes, you run the risk of having peaks and valleys, instead of a smooth line/curve to it. :poke:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I just wired one of these to my brake lights

[EBAY]140568193054[/EBAY]

0319111822.jpg

0319111821.jpg

gmctodd

Jan 8, 2012
The one on the rear of my envoy is the old one off my truck. the last six or so bulbs uit working so I cut it off with a hacksaw a siliconed it shut. I only use it for tail,brake and reverse lights so it does'nt matter that one side is shorter. It is a Recon brand!

101_0876.JPG

My next one will be one of these with the amber turn signals since my Envoy has amber in the rearLMC Truck Parts - Page 105 the price seems good!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online