LED Recommendations for HVAC and Bose on [2002 ENVOY]

steveO

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I have two lights out on the HVAC I did some searching and didn't see any specific spec for the LED's used in these areas.
I did see a post where different color LEDs were used but didn't see a spec for them.
My thinking is they might be smaller LED's or round tops and much lower MCD compared to the ones in the cluster.

On the cluster I used flat top 5 MM also used them on the cruse , brights and turn indicator but went with 1K resisters They are bright maybe more than than need to be.
Those LED are enclosed in a small compartment to direct the light as well as keep it from spilling into the cluster when they are in operation. They quite possibly could have been or lower MCD or smaller LED's this is where I'm coming from with this question. I'm hoping that someone has blazed the trail already (no pun intended)

I'm also considering doing the window controls on the drivers side as well.

Thanks!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
steveO said:
I have two lights out on the HVAC I did some searching and didn't see any specific spec for the LED's used in these areas.
I did see a post where different color LEDs were used but didn't see a spec for them.
My thinking is they might be smaller LED's or round tops and much lower MCD compared to the ones in the cluster.

On the cluster I used flat top 5 MM also used them on the cruse , brights and turn indicator but went with 1K resisters They are bright may be more than than need to be.
Those LED are enclosed in a small compartment to direct the light as well as keep it from spilling into the cluster when they are in operation. They quite possibly could have been or lower MCD or smaller LED's this is where I'm coming from with this question. I'm hoping that someone has blazed the trail already (no pun intended)

I'm also considering doing the window controls on the drivers side as well.

Thanks!

You'd be fine using 5mm flat tops there too. For mine, I went with all blue, and used straw hat LEDs, since that's what I had at the time. Flat tops would be a better choice IMO. Since all of the lights in there come on at the same time, it's better if the lights do overlap each other, so you have no hot spots. As far as LED specs go, it's all relative. Since you know what you've got with your cluster, just adjust the size of the resistor to get the brightness you're looking for, or go with a 3mm LED instead. :twocents:

steveO

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Blckshdw said:
You'd be fine using 5mm flat tops there too. For mine, I went with all blue, and used straw hat LEDs, since that's what I had at the time. Flat tops would be a better choice IMO. Since all of the lights in there come on at the same time, it's better if the lights do overlap each other, so you have no hot spots. As far as LED specs go, it's all relative. Since you know what you've got with your cluster, just adjust the size of the resistor to get the brightness you're looking for, or go with a 3mm LED instead. :twocents:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Based on your experience I'm leaning toward a flat top 3mm device for the size and the lower power.
I'm assuming they will be a better option for the window controls as that is a much smaller panel and they aren't very bright as it is now.

Now that I have the cluster lamped with LED's the rest of the indicators look out of place with that amberish glow they have.
I'm sure they will look much better if I relamp the rest of them.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
steveO said:
Based on your experience I'm leaning toward a flat top 3mm device for the size and the lower power.

I don't think they make 3mm flat tops, so you'd have to grind down the rounded tops yourself. It's not too difficult if you have a Dremel or something similar, just adds some more time to your mod.

steveO said:
I'm assuming they will be a better option for the window controls as that is a much smaller panel and they aren't very bright as it is now.

I guess it depends on how bright you want them, and what color you're going with. Obviously white will be the brightest compared to all the others. In my case, I went with a 5mm LED under each button. I initially tried one LED in the stock location, but due to the beam pattern LEDs have (since they don't emit light out of the sides like an incandescent bulb does) the light was pretty dark and unacceptable to me.

steveO said:
Now that I have the cluster lamped with LED's the rest of the indicators look out of place with that amberish glow they have.
I'm sure they will look much better if I relamp the rest of them.

:biggrin: "It has begun!!" This first LED mod is how it starts, then it just spreads. :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online