LED map and dome lights dim

EnvoyXL_2006

Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Hi,

I just replaced the map lights and dome lights with LEDs. The problem is that the LEDs are dim if the lights are turned on using the on-light switch but they come on bright when a door is opened or if the dash switch is used to turn them on. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Hiya!

I think the issue is there's two circuits up there, and some LED lamps don't connect as many LEDs to the dimmable circuit. And sometimes the dimmable circuit needs one filament-based lamp turned on to smooth the voltage (like a capacitor DRL mod will also do).

If you have mirror visors, open the cover to turn on the lamp, and see if the LED behavior changes.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
its a common issue with the LED swap... mine has acted the same exact way for the past 3 years that I've had LED's in my done lights..

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree: with Juan. What LEDs did you get? If you get these you'll like that you can turn them on dimmer while driving :cool:

[EBAY]271014359580[/EBAY]

EnvoyXL_2006

Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
the roadie said:
Hiya!

I think the issue is there's two circuits up there, and some LED lamps don't connect as many LEDs to the dimmable circuit. And sometimes the dimmable circuit needs one filament-based lamp turned on to smooth the voltage (like a capacitor DRL mod will also do).

If you have mirror visors, open the cover to turn on the lamp, and see if the LED behavior changes.

Hello,

I tried your suggestion and turned on the visor light and voila, the map light LEDs brightened. What is going on and how can I fix the problem permanently? Thanks so much!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I never had that problem when I did the change, I have them all over

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The filament in the vanity lamp is a different sort of load for the dimmer circuit in the BCM than the LEDs present. The dimmer was designed to have a constant filament on it at all times. Some folks just wire in a small filament lamp and then hide it somewhere where it won't start a fire, or a power resistor (such as a 10 Ohm, 10W unit from Radio Shack). Same issue with making wire it doesn't start a fir, because it WILL heat up. Only way it can work. Similar to the way some flasher units don't like replacement LED turn signals, and they hyperflash (too fast.)

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
EnvoyXL_2006 said:
Hello,

I tried your suggestion and turned on the visor light and voila, the map light LEDs brightened. What is going on and how can I fix the problem permanently? Thanks so much!

Get brighter LEDs that are bright enough in "dim mode"

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online