LED Help

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Hey guys, so i started replacing my interior lights with LED. I replaced the rear window switchs in the rear doors no problem. Then took the passenger front door panel off to repalce the light, I tested it before i put everything back together to make sure it worked and it did, however when i put it all back together the led must of got squished a bit and it shorted out, there was a little smoke. now with a new LED in there the LED isnt that bright andthe LED stays on all the time even with the lights all off, did i wreck the whole switch?

Thanks for the help

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
98tsiawd said:
Hey guys, so i started replacing my interior lights with LED. I replaced the rear window switchs in the rear doors no problem. Then took the passenger front door panel off to repalce the light, I tested it before i put everything back together to make sure it worked and it did, however when i put it all back together the led must of got squished a bit and it shorted out, there was a little smoke. now with a new LED in there the LED isnt that bright andthe LED stays on all the time even with the lights all off, did i wreck the whole switch?

Thanks for the help

well kinda... the switch still works, but since LED's have suck a low voltage to operate, you wont drain your battery or anything.. this happened to Carlton on his passanger door as well (light would always stay on), member GHenny440, and myself... eventually i just replaced my switch and started over... but in the mean time, i took the lights out so i wouldnt draw any current.. i have a lot of things pulling on my battery, and i dont want a stupid little LED to make things go dead :crackup: (even the factory little twist lights would stay on constantly when i tried putting them back in...)

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
thanks for the help, i think i'll leave the led in there for now until i can get a new switch. thank goodness it wasnt the drives door i screwed up, that switch is alot more expensive then the passenger side.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:bonk: Yeah, that kinda sucked. My PDM had no working lights in it when I bought the truck, which is what prompted me to do an LED swap in the first place. Initially I went with white, but it was so bright, you could see it on from quite a ways away at night. Blue wasn't so noticeable, and then the LED avalanche was on...

Word of advice on replacing your PDM, try to get a used one. Brand new ones have to be programmed at the dealer, which is more $$$. Used ones are plug and play :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online