LED Headlights

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I know this has been covered in other threads but the information is very sporadic around the site...

So I'm looking into getting new headlight housings for my Trailblazer and was wondering if the capacitor mod would be beneficiary to LEDs. I know it's a a must for HIDs.

Also, these are all the items I'm looking to get...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291459149884

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301196651508

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251654626106

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281655192824

If you have any suggestions on different products, let me know!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Actually those of us that run the LEDs do the capacitor mod as well. If you do not the drivers will go out.

Reactions: DFWWIZ

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
First link is fine.

Second is okay but there are better. Search for 5630 switchback.

Third link, big no. Dim as hell. Made for appearance only, not output for headlights.

Fourth link, refer to previous statement about third link.

Give me a few minutes and I'll have decent links you throw at you.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Those PnP LED 9006 "headlights" are garbage. They are only for looks IMO unless you are not planning on driving at night. The lumen output is horrible at 720 lumens. That is LESS than a standard halogen bulb which is around 1000 lumens.

Also, if you read the descriptions, the 9005 and 9005 LEDs are being sold as DRLs and NOT headlights. They might be ok for DRLs, but as you know our low beam headlight is our DRLs. If you want LED headlights, contact DFWWIZ and get a set of his. Very bright and worth the money.

Like Larry said with HIDs or LEDs (with drivers) you will need to do the cap mod or DRL killer.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
As far as LED headlights I think you really need to go with DFWWIZ, Kevin, really supports his products.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
They mostly got you lined out on the headlight bulbs. What you're looking for is for it to have an external box which is a driver, and a heat-sink with a fan. That's the type that are actually decent. As said, dfwwiz is the resident LED headlight bulb supplier here. Keep in mind, his new, and the brightest bulbs so far, require cutting on the back of the headlight to allow their massive heat-sink to fit.

For switchbacks, these will be much brighter than the ones you linked.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331183639871&alt=web

And, search for his sale thread yo.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The lights you are posting had a line in there...

failure.PNG

With his pricing you get the drivers and he will assist you. He owns a TB and always willing to help, even if you need a lot of assistance.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Thanks guys for the input!

DJ, I don't know how but that warming got looked over. Thanks for pointing that out. :yes:

I'll need to think about it. I want to do it right the first time but I can't really shell out $300 for a new set up. The sets are $110 and I would like to do my high beams as well. But, that's double my budget, unfortunately.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Just do your lows for now and then your highs later. It is funny seeing the highs not as bright as the lows but if you have the quad light mod it compliments fairly well.

Reactions: Mounce and Sib

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
SnowBlazer said:
I know this has been covered in other threads but the information is very sporadic around the site...

So I'm looking into getting new headlight housings for my Trailblazer and was wondering if the capacitor mod would be beneficiary to LEDs. I know it's a a must for HIDs.

Also, these are all the items I'm looking to get...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291459149884

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301196651508

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251654626106

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281655192824

If you have any suggestions on different products, let me know!

Mounce said:
First link is fine.

Second is okay but there are better. Search for 5630 switchback.

Third link, big no. Dim as hell. Made for appearance only, not output for headlights.

Fourth link, refer to previous statement about third link.

Give me a few minutes and I'll have decent links you throw at you.

dmanns67 said:
Those PnP LED 9006 "headlights" are garbage. They are only for looks IMO unless you are not planning on driving at night. The lumen output is horrible at 720 lumens. That is LESS than a standard halogen bulb which is around 1000 lumens.

Also, if you read the descriptions, the 9005 and 9005 LEDs are being sold as DRLs and NOT headlights. They might be ok for DRLs, but as you know our low beam headlight is our DRLs. If you want LED headlights, contact DFWWIZ and get a set of his. Very bright and worth the money.

Like Larry said with HIDs or LEDs (with drivers) you will need to do the cap mod or DRL killer.
I agree with Dave and Garth here. I bought a set of those LED fogs just because when I added HIDs in my low beams I hated having the yellow tint of my halogen fogs. They look great if you were looking toward the front of my truck, but they were brutal as far as light output. I ended up just getting a cheap set of HID fogs to give me some light on the ground in front of me.

djthumper said:
As far as LED headlights I think you really need to go with DFWWIZ, Kevin, really supports his products.
I have a set of Kevins Cree LEDs in my high beams and they are super bright. They do scatter light a little more than I would like, but that is because they only have LEDs on the sides, not all the way around like a HID or even a halogen.

Not sure how they would be as low beams, but as high beams they work pretty good.

If you are looking to get something bright, IMO I would say just get a set of HIDs from TRS. I have had those in my low beams for a few months now and they are great. Projectors are even better, but just for starters TRS's HIDs work very well. The ballast fire up very quickly and I have not had any issue at all. I also have the capacitor mod so my DRLs run at 100% and I did the 6-hi mod, so when I turn on my high beams, my HID lows stay on. That way I don't have to worry about ruining the ballasts from all the on-off, as well as waiting for them to warm up to optimal brightness either.

Just my :twocents:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The retrofit source hids I can agree with as well. Granted it's not fair since I have projectors. If you are okay with stepping it up, I say save for the projectors and have fun. Leds are cool though too.... modding in any way shape or form is fun though. [emoji2]

Reactions: Sib

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Either led or hid options are ok...but they do scatter no matter what when you don't run projectors with them. The benefit of hids is not having to cut. I am the retrofit source vendor here, so I might be a little biased. I support their hid and led line. I also just picked up Diode Dynamics for led goodies.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Sib

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I agree 100% that projectors are the way to go. Not everyone has the time or wants to pay to money for a retro. I use to be "that guy" as well running HIDs in reflector housings. It is a huge improvement over halogens, but no comparison to running actual HID projectors.

Now I am "that guy" that flashes every car that comes at me with HIDs in a reflector housing :rotfl:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I can vouch for diode dynamic's awesomeness lol. Great customer service.

Now on topic, you could start out like most of us and get Ebay hid kits. $74 and you have highs, lows, and harnesses for both to protect the tiny stock wires.

(once you go HID, you never go back to halogen, HIDs are awesome.)

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
smitty5150 said:
Either led or hid options are ok...but they do scatter no matter what when you don't run projectors with them. The benefit of hids is not having to cut. I am the retrofit source vendor here, so I might be a little biased. I support their hid and led line. I also just picked up Diode Dynamics for led goodies.
They're the ones I found that have the LED compatible flashers. Cruise compatible too. Gonna pick up one when I get around to doing my LED's.

+1 on TRS too. Nice folks. That's where my retro will come from. When I get to that. lol!

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
I'd like to learn more about LED replacements for the 9006 lamp, there's no stickie or article.

They seem to be advertised with their lumins combined: "6000 lumins" meaning 3000 lumins each. They seem to be advertised up to 9000 lumins (4500 per bulb).

The "better" looking ones seem to have a cooling fan in their base?

How do they work with the stock housing reflector? Decent beam control?

Has anybody done this and can post a review possibly with pictures?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I almost did. Being in the same state was convenient as well. As it turned out, I enjoyed it too much. [emoji2]

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
littleblazer said:
I almost did. Being in the same state was convenient as well. As it turned out, I enjoyed it too much. [emoji2]
Don't know where everyone is but I don't wanna screw up $300 worth of lights+ another $600 or so in projectors kits lol

Like to do quad FXR's

Reactions: Sib and dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Quad FX-Rs is not necessary as the FX-Rs are bi-xenon. Meaning they have a low beam and hi beam function. I have FX-Rs in my low beams and DFWWIZ's LED headlights for my high beams. More than enough light driving down back country roads at night. I went for about a year with nothing in the hi beams because the FX-R does a great job in high beam mode.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Or you could do quads anyways and reap in the benefit of 4 low beam projectors and 4 high beam projectors. :yes:

Idk if fxr would fit in the high beam bucket though.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Tiggerr said:
Don't know where everyone is but I don't wanna screw up $300 worth of lights+ another $600 or so in projectors kits lol

Like to do quad FXR's
So you have the lt headlights I guess?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Mounce said:
Or you could do quads anyways and reap in the benefit of 4 low beam projectors and 4 high beam projectors. :yes:

Idk if fxr would fit in the high beam bucket though.
That's the plan anyway lol. Only issue I may have is the depth of the bowls..

Littleblazer I have a rainier not a TB. Lights are way different lol.

And pricey

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Guys...lets get back on topic. :thubsup:

So from what I've learned today I have 4 options:

Member's LED in halogen housing
HID in halogen housing
Halogen in protector housing
HID in projectors (which seem to be the best case)

Is this correct?

Also, thanks for helping me out. If it wasn't for you guys I would be running eBay LED's, that are meant for fogs. Thank you!!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Hid in projector is ideal, not for everyone though. The leds that were reccomended may be better or worse than hids, depends how much they scatter. No reason for halogens in projectors. :raspberry:

Sorry I'm on tapa and it is annoying to find vehicle information.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Any Ebay projector housings are made for halogens. Just throwing that out there for whom it may concern. Your results may vary if you put HIDs in them.

I'd say go with HIDs. Easy plug-n-play upgrade.

Make sure you aim the headlights loooow though or you'll get real used to other peoples high beams.

Aaand, 4300-6000k is where it's at. Anything bluer and you're losing output. 4300 is the brightest. Also, 35w. 55w isn't acceptable for reflectors.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Just to give you an idea, my projectors have 4300k hids, here they are next to the highs which are halogens:
20141228_205439.jpg
Yellow halogens and mostly white from the projectors. The camera washed it and makes it look bluer than it is.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
SURELY you don't pay someone to rotate your tires.......

Only saying that because its super easy and I myself would never pay someone to do it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The firestone we use rotates for free with an alignment.... sometimes.

Still haven't decided yet I guess?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well he added that to the list of monetary repairs needed so I'm assuming he pays for it. Oh well lol.

If you do decide to go with HIDs and want cheap ones from Ebay, hmu or post in here. I've bought four kits from the same seller and they work flawlessly. Won't be as high quality as Mori, but they work and never misfire.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Haha. I'll do the alignment at a buddy's house (I don't have a garage), but everything else will go to a shop (Probably Chevy).

Post up the link, Mounce...that way I can get a grocery list going and others can see what you're recommending. :thumbsup:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I was gonna say you might not have good results with that alignment lol.

And yeah, you can, just get the correct bulb sizes. 9006 and 9005. I'd also recommend 4300k, they're the brightest and also you won't look like everyone else with blue headlights.

Also, don't forget you'll need to do the cap mod or drl killer.

Reactions: Sib and SnowBlazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online

No members online now.