leaking tranny fluid

chrisN

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I have a 2005 Trailblazer with the 4.2, about 137000kms, after arriving home from the lake the other day I noticed a puddle of oil underneath the transfer case. It was red and appeared to be transmission fluid. It looks like there is a tranny breather that runs underneath and dumps it out on to the transfer case.
I figured with the 32" tires, and pulling my quad it was running hot since this weekend was hotter than normal, and that is why it poured out. So i had a tranny cooler added on which i was planning on doing anyways. 3 days after it still seems to be leaking out a tiny bit. Any thoughts on why it would do this? Would it just be some tranny fluid that was left in the vent hose? The fluid is still a nice red color, not brown.
Thanks,

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
chrisN said:
I have a 2005 Trailblazer with the 4.2, about 137000kms, after arriving home from the lake the other day I noticed a puddle of oil underneath the transfer case. It was red and appeared to be transmission fluid. It looks like there is a tranny breather that runs underneath and dumps it out on to the transfer case.
I figured with the 32" tires, and pulling my quad it was running hot since this weekend was hotter than normal, and that is why it poured out. So i had a tranny cooler added on which i was planning on doing anyways. 3 days after it still seems to be leaking out a tiny bit. Any thoughts on why it would do this? Would it just be some tranny fluid that was left in the vent hose? The fluid is still a nice red color, not brown.
Thanks,

Are you sure it's a breather hose burping, and not a rusted cooler line? One of mine just let go a couple of weeks ago, and it was only
rusted under one of the holding clips on the frame. Tiny little hole, and had most of the undercarriage wet with fluid. :sadcry: Got it patched
and got the replacements, but haven't had a chance to replace them yet.

Good Luck!

Chris

Jul 24, 2012
I did some towing in May and had a similar experience.

I think I was running the tranny pretty hot, running about 400 miles towing a big trailer, and it leaked a little for a couple of days after, right at the transfer case ... in fact the drip was dripping off the transfer case and I thought it was the transfer case at first.

And then it stopped. And I don't know why.

Just last weekend I did some work on the cooler lines, and I was losing fluid there, but that leak puddled up much farther to the front.

But since May I haven't lost any fluid back where the transmission and transfer case come together.

chrisN

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
6716 said:
I did some towing in May and had a similar experience.

I think I was running the tranny pretty hot, running about 400 miles towing a big trailer, and it leaked a little for a couple of days after, right at the transfer case ... in fact the drip was dripping off the transfer case and I thought it was the transfer case at first.

And then it stopped. And I don't know why.

Yeah, that is exactly what happened. Thought the transfer case was leaking and couldnt for the life of me figure out why it was leaking red fluid. It seems to have stopped leaking more or less but I will keep an eye on it!
Thanks for the input guys.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online