Just got a puppy, now what?

suburbs

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
The girlfriend just brought home an 11 week old puppy. Half golden, half short hair pointer, looks just like a yellow lab. Our neighborhood is a very laid back mountain community, most everybody lets their dogs out at 8am, lets them back in at dusk before bears and coyotes get too active. Leashes, fences and shock collars are foreign concepts around here. I am not concerned about socializing with other dogs...5 or 6 of them were playing with Jackson outside within an hour of him coming home. The girlfriend is working full time, I have 5 more weeks of downtime until mtn bike season and employment begin.

Jackson is basically house broken already.

I have not trained a dog before.

The few big things we are working on right now:
Teaching him his name, come here, sit, etc. Verbal and visual.
No people food. His whole life.
He sleeps in the dog crate. Trying to make it a place for him to relax vs. penalty box, his own bedroom. He only gets to chew rawhide bones (his favorite toy so far) in the crate, so he gets comfortable there.
We eat first, he stays in a separate room and is fed once we are finished.

Any general purpose wisdom/advice? Reading up as much as possible, getting an early start before he gets to the rowdier stages.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Cute. Sounds about right, try and get him as much social contact with other dogs, humans, & animals.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
441ed87e-c1fe-fb84.jpg

Don't sweat it man...the damn wife brought this home the other day.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
suburbs said:
....No people food. His whole life.
He sleeps in the dog crate. Trying to make it a place for him to relax vs. penalty box, his own bedroom. He only gets to chew rawhide bones (his favorite toy so far) in the crate, so he gets comfortable there......

Crating is the best way. He will come to realize that it's "his place"....you might find him in there when you don't expect it.

As for the "rawhide" bones....if you're referring to the white colored ones that all pet stores sell, they are NOT good for animals. They are full of chemicals and have been bleached to look that way. Try to find some natural rawhide bones, if possible.

My dogs have all loved the natural pigs ears....they don't last too long, but the dogs are wild for them.

Rawhide Treats And Dental Health | PetSmart

BTW, dog is TOO CUTE!!! :smile:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Being only 11 weeks old, they will teethe like a baby would.. so make sure you have plenty of toys (kongs, etc...) for him to chew on instead of your furniture, shoes, curtains, etc... and to get my pup used to me, my commands, and my dominance as her "pack leader", I put an old sweater inside her crate so she could get used to my scent, etc... did that for about a few wks until she started chewing it due to her teething :rotfl:

Learned that lesson the hard way when I brought my 14 wk old German shepherd home 5 yrs ago... she mainly chewed on my curtains and her crate until I figured out what was going on.. after a few "disciplinary" acts of correcting her and then buying her toys, she hasn't chewed on anything since..

suburbs

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
MacMan said:
As for the "rawhide" bones....if you're referring to the white colored ones that all pet stores sell, they are NOT good for animals. They are full of chemicals and have been bleached to look that way.

I think I know what you are talking about...the type that almost looks like thick paper folded over itself. The type I was referring to you can see in the picture of him still inside the petco shopping cart, looks and feels like real pieces of bone.

My last dog would eat pigs ears in about 15 minutes, puke it up about 5 minutes after that.

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
suburbs said:
I think I know what you are talking about...the type that almost looks like thick paper folded over itself. The type I was referring to you can see in the picture of him still inside the petco shopping cart, looks and feels like real pieces of bone.

My last dog would eat pigs ears in about 15 minutes, puke it up about 5 minutes after that.

My lab was the same on the pig ears. We would also buy marrow bones from the butcher and let him go to town on those, cheap too. Someone also mentioned a KONG, we would put a scoop of peanut butter in the center of it and it would keep him busy for a while. Also my lab had a fascination for empty water bottles, he would chew the cap off and then tear off the labels, never chewed anything else on the bottle. I could never figure out what he liked about it... Mine passed away in February after a major seizure/stroke, I'll say it's like loosing a family member. Cherish every minute you have with them!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Opeth said:
My lab was the same on the pig ears. We would also buy marrow bones from the butcher and let him go to town on those, cheap too. Someone also mentioned a KONG, we would put a scoop of peanut butter in the center of it and it would keep him busy for a while. Also my lab had a fascination for empty water bottles, he would chew the cap off and then tear off the labels, never chewed anything else on the bottle. I could never figure out what he liked about it... Mine passed away in February after a major seizure/stroke, I'll say it's like loosing a family member. Cherish every minute you have with them!

I have a Doberman/lab mix (not a puppy, she's about 12) that loves empty pop bottles. She'll bite the cap and twist it off, then lick the inside of the bottle, then drop the bottle upside down so she can get more pop. My Rottweiler (About 3-4) just waits to chew the cap, then the bottle

Dec 4, 2011
Short Bus said:
I have a Doberman/lab mix (not a puppy, she's about 12) that loves empty pop bottles. She'll bite the cap and twist it off, then lick the inside of the bottle, then drop the bottle upside down so she can get more pop. My Rottweiler (About 3-4) just waits to chew the cap, then the bottle

We had a Heintz 57 that used to love to chew the tops of plastic bottles. One day she wasn't feeling well so we took her to the Vet and they said leave her overnight. The next day when we were there she coughed up a 1/2 cup of blood. I knew that this was not good. They put her down and since we have a Vet training University in town they sent her body over for them to due an autopsy.

The report was 1 page long, single space with so many medical terms I had to have my cousin (the Vet) translate for me. Long Story Short, everything was shot, all organs etc. I don't know for sure but I always thought that she ingested so much plastic over the years (she was 8) that her system revolted.

You might want to stop feeding them plastic bottles.

Our next dog lived to 14.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online