Just bought these, has anyone tried these Spec-D headlights before?

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I just bought these headlights because I got them for great price and I was curious if anyone else has purchased them before? They look great but my main concern is whether or not the product is actually reliable, just wanted to hear from some other people that have purchased aftermarket headlight casings before. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

02-05 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER CCFL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS- BLACK

-Chase :smile:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
A decent number of members have bought these. I've seen a few complaints about these over the years. The biggest being, the cutoff line on the passenger side shoots upwards instead of staying level. The seals aren't waterproof and can allow water in, in heavy situations (one of my buddies went mudding and that turned out pretty bad for his lights) Some members have had issues with the turn signal LEDs going out over time in spots, others haven't, so that appears to be a hit or miss kinda thing. Good luck on the install, snap some pics for us when you've got em in! :thumbsup:

dockers

Dec 12, 2012
I had a set of spec-d lights in another car of mine. Like the previous poster stated, they WILL fill with water, its just a matter of time.:hissyfit: After moisture started showing in mine I opened them up and resealed them. Never had the issue again. Keep it in mind.

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Dockers is there not a way to water proof or seal them? I'm sure I could find something... and Blckshdw I like the interior lighting in your ride, was that difficult to install?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
dockers said:
I had a set of spec-d lights in another car of mine. Like the previous poster stated, they WILL fill with water, its just a matter of time.:hissyfit: After moisture started showing in mine I opened them up and resealed them. Never had the issue again. Keep it in mind.

Never had even a hint of moisture in mine. Spec-d wasn't the "brand" of mine either, they came with a label that said eagle eyes. lol

I like them while the cutoff is my only complaint they are nice headlights for the price. When I have the time I want to pull the piece of metal that acts as the cutoff out and replace it with some more straight. I have had no other issues with the headlights themselves other than the bad resistor when I purchased. One thing you should know now if you intend to get HID's the lows I want to say are HB4 bulbs and required some effort to get the stock 9006 to seat fully, and the high beams are H1 which is very small and requires me to get a different bulb altogether to run high HID.

dockers

Dec 12, 2012
yeah you can open them up and reseal them. I use 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer, I think 5/16 was the size. To speed the sealing process up you can "bake" them for a bit in the oven, but that's a sketchy process and can destroy as quick as it dries the headlight.

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I've seen some cool stuff for the envoy before, go to Andy's auto sport and browse around for a bit I'm sure you'll find something. I already have a set of 35 watt HID's is there gonna be a problem getting them installed?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
CDJuda said:
... and Blckshdw I like the interior lighting in your ride, was that difficult to install?

:thankyou: I don't think it was difficult to install at all, but I'm a tad bit biased. :tongue:

If you haven't seen this thread yet, take a peek. http://gmtnation.com/f33/led-mod-thread-944/ This should give you some ideas. If you have questions, post em there. :thumbsup:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I got these installed. They look better than they perform though lol! Like Carlton said the cutoff isn't that great but to me they give better visibility than stocks! I'm overall happy with mine but damn they're due for another polishing again :sadcry:

Sandstorm killed them as well as my windsheild :S

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Is there a way to trim the cutoff so it doesn't look goofy? Or is that just the way the headlight is seated...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
CDJuda said:
Is there a way to trim the cutoff so it doesn't look goofy? Or is that just the way the headlight is seated...

You'll basically have to take them apart, the cutoff piece starts across, and then dips off, which is what causes the light to shoot upwards on the passenger side. You'd have to add something to it, to make it flat all the way across. There was a thread on the OS where a guy put in a razor blade, and that did the trick. Any way you slice it though, it's gonna take some work to make it happen.

Edit: Here's the thread http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=46194

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I've heard of people using the aluminum from a can of soda for this purpose. Seemed like a good idea to me.

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Is the cutoff problem occurring with the Spec-D brand or is it just with the generic eagle eye brand?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
CDJuda said:
Is the cutoff problem occurring with the Spec-D brand or is it just with the generic eagle eye brand?

As far as I can tell, it's that model of headlight. If you go to post #3 in that thread I linked, the 5th-8th pics show what we're talking about with the passenger side cutoff piece.

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 25

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
View attachment 26174

I love mine, but I can confirm, if you get enough water on them, they can get stained. Mine have colorado river inside the drivers side, but not bad.

I always get comments and stares on the lights. And the difference over the factory with HID's is pretty big. The factories with the HID's where marginal at best. In the middle of nowhere Utah at night, these are great. I'm running a DDM Tuning 55W kit inside the projectors, btw.

You'll enjoy them. :thumbsup:

Mine have been on for almost a year, and the CCFL is just as bright as ever. I'm really impressed with the brightness.

View attachment 26175

View attachment 26176

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Funny the $250 ones from eBay are the same part numbers and stamps as the $400 Anzo ones from other sites. I have had mine for about a year and have had no issues with the led's. I will say that the factory head lights with HIDs had far more output than the new ones with the goofy cutoff.

I still love the way they look though.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
I wonder if that company went to a different supplier (anzo) after complaints with the eagle brand?

Either way they look good. Im def gonna have to give some thought to these either in the spec D brand or from anzo themselves.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
I have an 06 LT (the one without the grill in the middle of the headlight). Anybody found any proj headlights for the different front end?

Or do I have to go with retrofits?:frown:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
24v 4.2 said:
I have an 06 LT (the one without the grill in the middle of the headlight). Anybody found any proj headlights for the different front end?

Or do I have to go with retrofits?:frown:

You're out of luck unfortunately. There's only 2 aftermarket options for the LS/SS style, none have been found for any of the other trucks in our family.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
I wonder if that company went to a different supplier (anzo) after complaints with the eagle brand?

Either way they look good. Im def gonna have to give some thought to these either in the spec D brand or from anzo themselves.

I believe the "eagle eyes" was more of a model name and not brand. I have seen them listed under many brands with the same part number, DOT numbers and other various stampings on the casings. I am not sure if they are marking up the ANZO brand over others for some reason. They all have the same cut off as well.

Blckshdw said:
You're out of luck unfortunately. There's only 2 aftermarket options for the LS/SS style, none have been found for any of the other trucks in our family.

I have never found an answer as to whether or not the SS grill will fit with the LT bumper and LS headlights. Might be an option for me further down the road as well as an LT rear bumper, I hate the LS rear.

I do love these headlights on our trucks though.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:

Anzo doesn't make them. They simply take Eagle Eyes and relabel.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
blazinlow89 said:
I have never found an answer as to whether or not the SS grill will fit with the LT bumper and LS headlights.

:yes: That combination works, I've seen it posted a couple of times on the OS.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online