I've Screwed something up!

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
My first post here. Lurker over on TV and found this while trying to figure out what I have done...

I went and changed my fuel filter Sunday. The only thing I didn't do according to the write up on TV is disconnect negative terminal. After changing filter out and starting my TB up I soon noticed a funky idle. It had a lope to it as if I had installed an aggressive cam. The SES light started to flash while driving it. Since then I have had SES codes pulled- multiple engine misfires. I have run fuel injector cleaner through it, I have disconnected the battery twice( once was while I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it). I just jacked it back up to see if I put the new one back in correctly. If the line that has the fuel release valve is supposed to be on the line for Out then I have done that correctly.

I had just replaced the plugs about six months ago along with cleaning the MAF and throttle body. The truck ran well before I changed fuel filter. Now afterwards it runs like crap. I have noticed while driving it that it seems to have trouble getting up to 3000 rpms. With multiple misfires I guess that can be expected.

Gentlemen any clues as to what I have done? Could some type of sediment crossed over and giving me issues at either the injector or plugs? Is it possible too have gotten a bad fuel filter? if plugs are fouled how can I correct that? Is that new plugs or can I just pull and clean the ones in the truck now?

Throw some suggestions out and I will try them...

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Man at this time anything is possible. I mean the only thing I disconnected is the fuel filter and the fuel pump relay. So My culprit has to be the fuel filter. I still have the old one. I guess I can reinstall it and see if the issues go away. If they do then off to go get me a new one. maybe a different brand. The one I had bought is from Autozone. maybe a purolator or Wix filter is soon to be attached to my TB.

I would make me feel a lot better as I am perturbed at having this problem after just changing a fuel filter...:hissyfit:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If that's all you changed, it's the prime suspect. If you disconnected the battery without also cleaning the throttle body, that could cause erratic idle, but never a misfire. How long since you removed and cleaned the throttle body?

Did you use Delco 41-103 plugs when you did those?

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
The plugs were done 8 months ago. Before I really knew to use the ac's I used Autolites Iridiums. Thinking I will be changing plugs again soon. And I will swap the old filter back to see if Tb runs any better.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
if the new filter is defective/restricted and it runs that bad, I'd expect to find a lean code along with the misfire codes.

FWIW, I don't disconnect the battery when I do them, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online