NEED HELP Isolation of Driveline Noises

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, my rear end is acting up. In the morning when I leave my house, I get to the end of the street, and take the same left turn that I do every day. But recently I've heard a little groan from the rear end. It's not obvious but you can certainly feel it. I replaced it with new 75-90 Synthetic on Labor Day. It didn't do this prior. This is a limited slip diff and I did not add any Limited Slip additive, which I think I should have. Secondly, I've got a harsh vibration going on and a little rattle, usually happens when I'm costing or slowing down. It's coming from the left rear. Everything looks decent, the endlinks feel fine and I had the truck up in the air the other day to change out the front brakes, and I lifted the back to check out the noise. When I shook the wheel there was the usual amount of play.

Lastly I should add that for the last week I have been heavily trailering, which I usually only do two or three times a year come camping season. I've been hauling an open car trailer with a Cavalier Race car. on it and I'm doing it again this weekend.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Which gear oil did you have? Some have the additive (friction modifier) already in it. I don't really recall what style of limited slip that is though, whether it actually needs it or not. Clutch-based yes, gear-based (like the one in my Camaro) generally does not.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It needs that additive if it's not already included or you will have the shuddering.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I used my local NAPA's house brand 75-90 Synthetic. Don't recall ever seeing that it did contain a friction modifier. I totally just forgot it was limited slip.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Here's the Dope on this Stuff: DSC07437.jpg
DSC07439.jpg

...and for the other Members and Readers interested about WHY this Goo is needed...

Last edited:

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Update. One U-Joint, Synthetic 75-90 the ACDelco Friction Modifier from my local Chevy parts desk noise has subsided.

The knocking I heard while coasting, parking brake shoe fell off in the rotor. Removed for now pending installation of a new set when I can get myself into my buddy's warm shop.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen

Members Online