Is this normal?

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Hello everyone!
Was hoping to get some feedback on this picture. Can anyone tell if this might be cause for alarm? The orange oil cap colour was noticed when I was adding oil the other day.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20150223_111813_edit.jpg
    IMG_20150223_111813_edit.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 37

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I wouldn't worry about that, but would keep an eye on it. Looks like short trips, winter driving, moisture didn't have a chance to burn out of the oil.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
That is exactly what mine looks like. And like NJTB said, those are my exact conditions. I don't like it, but it's not like I want to make a 20 mile loop to get to work so the engine can get up to a higher temp fora longer time. Keep an eye on your oil condition when you check it and maybe change it a little more often. I have about 20% left on the OLM and I'll be changing here soon for that reason.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Appreciate the feedback guys:smile:

Great to know it's not serious.

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
See if there's any oil residue in the coolant overflow bottle. Check for higher than normal motor oil or transmission fluid levels.

If the transmission cooler in the radiator is leaking, coolant can get into the transmission which will make the clutch packs fall apart.

If there's a head gasket leak, coolant can get into the oil which will wipe the bearings.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Are head gasket leaks common on the 5.3's?

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
Not really. They seal better than old school small blocks because the bolts tug from the bottom of the block, allowing it to seal better than old school small blocks.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I get that in the winter from short trips too on my 4.2L. Had some gunk like that when I changed my oil recently. Just wiped it off and went on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online