Is this engine sound normal

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I have 04 rainier engine sounds worse and worse to me 185k on the dash. Is this normal

You'll hear air compresses kicking in ignore that I'm talking about the wha wha wha wha wha noise

[video=youtube_share;N9wG6qw4NcA]http://youtu.be/N9wG6qw4NcA[/video]

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not normal. How's your oil change discipline been? Any previous owners?

I'd send an oil sample out for analysis. Start a maintenance savings fund. Wish real hard it's not a lower end bearing problem.

Can you use a mechanics stethoscope or long screwdriver to check the cheaper parts, like the water pump? Pull the serpentine belt for a minute to see if it's inside or outside the engine?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
the roadie said:
Not normal. How's your oil change discipline been? Any previous owners?

I'd send an oil sample out for analysis. Start a maintenance savings fund. Wish real hard it's not a lower end bearing problem.

Can you use a mechanics stethoscope or long screwdriver to check the cheaper parts, like the water pump? Pull the serpentine belt for a minute to see if it's inside or outside the engine?

Oil changed every 3k full synthetic. There was one time I had a shop do it asked for Mobil one not sure if they put it.

I bought car with 161k no idea previous maint.

I'm pretty handy and good at figuring things out ill see if long screw driver trick works and belt removal

What will a oil analysis tell me. Thanks for reply roadie.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Run a search here and at the OS for "oil analysis". I've owned mine since it was new, but if I ever buy a used vehicle I'll do an analysis right away. They can tell you how much and what sorts of metal are found in the oil, which can guide you to knowing if you have a ring or bearing problem. Oil TREND analysis is a very powerful tool if you have data taken on your engine over a long period of time, to let you know what your baseline expected metal content is, and if any of them are trending up over time, they can warn you BEFORE something bad happens like a noise.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
First video is engine belt off

Second is odd noise I heard after turning off engine. Do these hint towards anything

[video=youtube_share;glhja5McaGM]http://youtu.be/glhja5McaGM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;txol9B5vOVs]http://youtu.be/txol9B5vOVs[/video]

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
The dieseling noise has been discussed before on the forum. Someone posted a video with a Ford that had the same dieseling noise. It is the VVT not working right. My suggestion would be to replace the CPAS. But before you do that make sure the engine is well flushed with a suitable flush such as CRC Fast Motor Flush or Gunk Motor Flush, K&W Motor Flush, etc. Then use a good oil such as a well known synthetic 5W-30 or 5W-20. Also make sure to use an ACDelco PF-61e filter. If you don't flush the system before replacing the CPAS you could clog it up and that would be a waste of time.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
With what's been said a few other things to look for is an exhaust leak and possibly a loose torque converter bolt. Start from the inside and work in, also drain a little bit of the oil and look for any metal shavings or yellow glitter, this will tell a big story.

I replaced my serpentine belt yesterday and afterwards I immediately heard the infamous water pump clunk clunk clunk....was just coincidence as the noise went away the next day but the pulley still has slight wobble. Today it's quiet but now I know what to listen for and it's just barely audible and I hear it. Not sure why the noise isn't constant but it needs to be changed ASAP for sure.

You can just try to turn the exhaust bolts and may find one with a bolt head missing or loose. The noise when turning the motor off is concerning, hope it's not a bearing.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I hear an exhaust pop (manifold leak, broken bolt) and a vacuum leak. The chug a chug chug you hear sounds like a motor with 180k on it. Metal will wear down. It's only a matter of time. I'm sure at best it had 5k oil changes with dino oil. It wouldn't hurt to pull the cpas and see how it looks, however there is a chance the Mobil1 cleaned it out already with your slightly over frequent oil changes. Although you may think your situation is concerning, there is little you can do at this point other than high quality oil, which will buy you time. The damage, whatever it may be, has already been done. Used engines shipped are $750.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
tblazerdude said:
The chug a chug chug you hear sounds like a motor with 180k on it. Metal will wear down. It's only a matter of time.

It's been proven that the chug chug chug (diesel sound) is in fact the VVT not working right. If there is anything that this engine has taught me is that the worst sounds coming from an engine don't necessarily mean a damaged engine. And there is no reason to teardown an engine without proof of failure. Doing compression and oil pressure tests would be such evidence. These engines easily go 250K+ with proper maintenance. Since this issue basically just started recently then it more than likely is not serious. Engine wear takes time.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
jeffro312 said:
What is Vvt and thanks for replys

Variable valve timing. It has been discussed at length here and on other forums (probably in the owners manual too). I agree with what CaptainXL recommended. Bare minimum, take your CPAS out and check/clean it.

It sounds like you have an exhaust leak. You might pull the heat shield to see if your manifold is cracked and check to make sure the bolts are holding the manifold to the head. I think I also hear a vacuum leak at around 0:20 near the intake/brake booster. They're hard to get to, but check the bolts that hold the intake onto the head. Also check the vacuum hose running from the intake to the brake booster.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
As far as exhaust leaks go its possible as I had horrible time when I purchased car manifold was cracked. Dealer replaced it I looked saw new manifold and the Harley Davidson sound went away.

So short time after purchase like a week I find out these idiots snap a manifold bolt off in head and failed to mention it to me so then I go back and they fight me refused to fix it.

So that can be leak they also never put heat shield back on

I'll check cpas and the air leaks.

I think last time in shop they said they replaced my intake manifold gasket maybe they didn't tighten it all the way or I think your supposed to retighten after x amount of time anyway. Again thanks for the help when rain goes away ill check it out

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online