Is my squishy pedal normal

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
My brake pedal feels squishy.

I recently test drove an 07 Yukon denali and the brake pedal on that was very very firm which was comforting

Now I know my 04 rainier is no Yukon denali but should my pedal be this squishy. Here's a video.

[video=youtube;n2xH9fRdHbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xH9fRdHbE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
jeffro312 said:
My brake pedal feels squishy.

I recently test drove an 07 Yukon denali and the brake pedal on that was very very firm which was comforting

Now I know my 04 rainier is no Yukon denali but should my pedal be this squishy. Here's a video.

[video=youtube;n2xH9fRdHbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xH9fRdHbE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

cant watch the vid at work. Normally, squishy breaks are a result of air in the lines. have you ever done any major break work? (line replacement, caliper replacement)

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
On a good day, the brake force on our platform is softer than any other I've driven. It's mostly expected. Just make sure you have bled the brakes properly INCLUDING the ABS (which isn't easy without having a Tech II tool) or bleed the brakes, then go out on gravel and exercise the ABS a few times. And inspect your hoses for evidence of pooching out (ballooning). Then try it functionally. Can you trip the ABS on dry pavement? If so, even if the pedal is soft, they work fine.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Mine is "squishy" too. Yours definitely seems more excessive than mine though. Can't hurt to check and maybe replace the brake fluid, if unsure when it was last done just do it, and properly get the air out of lines. Master cylinder failing? Have you noticed an increase in stopping distance? I like to think of my mushy brake pedal as if it were always in ECO mode! Saves gas, pads, and rotors! But in reality I believe the brake rotors may be slightly bigger and possibly "better". Buy the Denali?!? Can't drive with a squishy pedal right?!?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
the roadie said:
On a good day, the brake force on our platform is softer than any other I've driven. It's mostly expected. Just make sure you have bled the brakes properly INCLUDING the ABS (which isn't easy without having a Tech II tool) or bleed the brakes, then go out on gravel and exercise the ABS a few times. And inspect your hoses for evidence of pooching out (ballooning). Then try it functionally. Can you trip the ABS on dry pavement? If so, even if the pedal is soft, they work fine.

If I try to stop as fast as I can abs kicks in.

Just feels like if I keep pushing pedal keeps going Its been like this for as long as I can remember thought was normal till I drove another vehicle

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Are you pushing on the brake in the vid with the engine off or on? With the engine off you should be able to pump it once then it should get firm real quick, within the next pump or two. Once firm it should stop just after the pedal is depressed, if you can keep pumping it to the floor or almost to the floor with the motor off then you likely have air in the lines.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
gmcman said:
Are you pushing on the brake in the vid with the engine off or on? With the engine off you should be able to pump it once then it should get firm real quick, within the next pump or two. Once firm it should stop just after the pedal is depressed, if you can keep pumping it to the floor or almost to the floor with the motor off then you likely have air in the lines.

Both beginning the truck is on then I shit it off pumped till it got stiff it was steady then once started truck it went down near floor again. Just seems like too much pedal travel

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I dont know if this applies here to you but if I spend too much time away from my TB I notice too many little things. So I try to not stay away so long. I know when I take the Wife's car out for for a clutch poppin joyride I notice anything new. Too bad the wife dont return the favor when she rides in the TB. Feels/sounds the same to me is exactly what I want to hear.

Take it in somewhere for a "free brake inspection" ? Can't really lie to you about whatsup with brake pedal?
Or find a different ride for the day and go test drive that '04 Ranier that's for sale near the city! Im sure there's one out there

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
just watched the video. That's way more excessive than either tb's I've owned

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Change out the fluid, bleed the brakes, then go get the ABS firing really good. It isn't winter anymore so you'd need to do it on a wet road or in gravel or something.

Mine was always squishier, but then this past winter I really fired the ABS on a road that was a sheet of ice. After that, the pedal firmed up quite a bit. Still not as firm as some other cars, but not bad.

If you want to check out a squishy pedal though, you should have driven my Dad's 04 Toyota Camry. That thing had the worst brake pedal feel ever. Felt more like stepping on a worn out pillow than a brake pedal.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Sparky said:
Change out the fluid, bleed the brakes, then go get the ABS firing really good. It isn't winter anymore so you'd need to do it on a wet road or in gravel or something.

Mine was always squishier, but then this past winter I really fired the ABS on a road that was a sheet of ice. After that, the pedal firmed up quite a bit. Still not as firm as some other cars, but not bad.

If you want to check out a squishy pedal though, you should have driven my Dad's 04 Toyota Camry. That thing had the worst brake pedal feel ever. Felt more like stepping on a worn out pillow than a brake pedal.

I changed a reservoir full brake fluid 15k ago when I did rotors and brakes never bled them. I think I tried but couldn't loosen bleeders and was afraid of braking something

Tried the abs thing on dry pavement I read somewhere to do it on dry slam them hard abs will kick in and that like bleeds abs or something..at the time in my head I thought it helped a little then I read squishy is normal for our platform

So just went along till I drove a Yukon denali with a rock hard pedal feels like mine does pumping while trucks off.

So soon I'll get them bleed properly its time for new pads I think ones I have are low and I have a warped rotor so do It after that. Thanks for help all

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.