Intermittent Electrical Issues - Ignition Switch?

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I have been having random intermittent electronic issues.
Most frequently:

1) the a/c (brand new compressor, correct R-134a charge) will cut out while driving and the snowflake stays illuminated. Pressure is "normal", permission becomes "withheld".
Toggling the snowflake off/on turns the a/c back on (but permission stays "withheld"). No codes.
Sometimes the snowflake stays illuminated on RAP (key off).

2) the transmission loses all forward gears except 2nd after kicking down. No codes.

3) the airbag light remains illuminated. I have not scanned for this code.

4) the Service 4WD light remains illuminated. C0327 code. 4WD functions completely normally with this code.

5) "Half-start", the engine tries to idle at like 300RPM while shaking violently and the cluster goes crazy. No codes.

#3 and 5 seem to be dead giveaways for Ignition Switch, but the other stuff could have a myriad of other causes. I'm going to order and replace the Ignition Switch and see if it solves all 5 issues.
I'll edit this post so people can see what problems it solves!

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I replaced the ignition switch with the Dorman equivalent and it is much firmer than all three of the AC Delco switches that were in there before.

So far, absolutely no problems since the new switch went in. I'll give it some more time before I conclude the ignition switch WAS the issue.

Reactions: Redbeard and Sparky

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online