Interior mods

Simon01

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
So I made a couple minor interior mods...

First, my center console armrest was cracked, which I think is a common issue in our trucks. I got the wild idea of recovering it with some vinyl (with the help of wifey's sewing skills). I know there is a vendor on ebay selling leather ones, but I was too cheap to spend the $30 for one of those. For less than $10 in thread, batting, vinyl we were able to put this together using coupons at Joann Fabric. Sorry for the crappy blackberry pics. It's not perfect, but it is at least nice and padded. The vinyl is a perfect match with the grey interior.

View attachment 22683

Next, I thought I would try a stitch-on leather steering wheel cover. I got a Superskins for $15.99 at Pep Boys. Stitching it on takes patience and I found it is best to take a few passes and tighten up the stitching after the leather has a chance to stretch a bit. The ebony leather matches the steering wheel better in person than in the pics.

So, what do you guys think?

View attachment 22684

Attachments

• armrest.jpg
    armrest.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 26
  • wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 24

Simon01

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
CdnGMan said:
:iagree: Both pics look pretty good... that steering wheel cover must've taken a while to put on tho... :confused:

Hell yeah, it took awhile- I started last Sunday, worked on it on Labor day, then tightened up the laces later in the week and finished it today. Probably have about 5 hours into it total.

WishinforanSS

Jun 13, 2012
how does that steering wheel cover feel? mine is an ls with the cheapo steering wheel and id like to upgrade it a bit

Simon01

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
WishinforanSS said:
how does that steering wheel cover feel? mine is an ls with the cheapo steering wheel and id like to upgrade it a bit

Mine is an LS too and the cheapo wheel didn't look pretty. Plus, the plastic wheel tends to make my hands sweat more, especially in the summer. The leather is a definite improvement, at least for me. It's not buttery soft, but the graining on the leather helps when holding the wheel.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I bought a very similar steering wheel cover for my Taurus on ebay, looks and feels great. Available in either perforated or non. Seems like I paid like $12 shipped from China. Needle it came with sucked, the rest was awesome.

Here's the seller I bought mine from, be sure to follow the sizing measurements in the listing to figure out what size the TB would need, but excellent quality leather

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Leather-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Black-MA2-/170516732611?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b396dac3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.