Interior/Headlights dim when putting windows up or down.

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I noticed tonight that my headlights and interior lamps dim when putting the windows up or down (with engine on or off). Is this normal? Could this be a sign of my alternator or battery going bad? Any input would be much appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Totally normal, especially if you do two at once.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
Totally normal, especially if you do two at once.

:iagree: But you might want to make sure that your battery terminals are tight (not just finger tight).

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
the roadie said:
You're right. I tend to assume anybody posting in an auto forum would eliminate the trivial things first. But I've been wrong before. :redface:

I have only had my truck for two weeks, but I did take a look at the battery cables (and various other things) when I got it, but it could'nt hurt to give em another look. Glad to hear some dimming is normal though. Would hate to need a new battery or alternator this quickly.

Thank you, The Roadie, and Matt for the good news! :wootwoot:

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
Yeah my truck does it too. Its normal with any power windows on any vehicle unless it were to have a h/o although PR a bank of batteries lol

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
24v 4.2 said:
I noticed tonight that my headlights and interior lamps dim when putting the windows up or down (with engine on or off). Is this normal? Could this be a sign of my alternator or battery going bad? Any input would be much appreciated.

I would have to agree with Roadie but being curious how many miles and do you still have the original battery in the truck?

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
CaptainXL said:
I would have to agree with Roadie but being curious how many miles and do you still have the original battery in the truck?

90,000 (verified one owner) and some change (mostly highway miles according to prev owner)
What brand would the original batt be? The truck is from the Moraine, Ohio plant according to the build sheet.

etperez22

Feb 8, 2012
OE battery in mine was AC Delco..

Replaced in 2011 around 45k. it had a slight buldge when I replaced it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online