Insulation on underside of hood

DIYguy

Original poster
Jun 8, 2024
FL
Opened my hood and noticed the fabric is worn away in a pretty big area.

I wouldn’t bother for a small section but for such a large section should I replace the black fabric or repair the insulation?

IMG_9292.jpeg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
There is another possible Cause and Origin of having a Damaged Under-Hood Headliner:

Rodents will Tear It Apart while attempting to scavenge Nesting Materials by grabbing pieces and sections loose and then re-locating it right around all of the Nooks & Crannies within the Engine Compartment.

The primary culprit is a diminutive Rodent called The North American Deer Mouse. This Little Creature carries in its Feces and Urine ----> Sickness and DEATH <---- at the Astonishing Kill Ratio of nearly 40% of the people who either INHALE the HANTA Virus Particles into their lungs… or Accidentally Transfer the Virus by direct contact with the Animal’s Droppings and Desiccated Urine into their Mouths, Nose or into Open Wounds. Rarely, this disease can also be transmitted by being Bitten or when Touching an Infected Animal's Blood.... So Handle Dead Mice in Traps with Great Care During Disposal!

There are Large, Flat replaceable Plastic Rivets holding the Headliner in place that should be gently removed after you Protect your Mouth and Nose with either a Paint Respirator or N-95 Mask, Eyes with Protective Lenses and your Hands via M11 Nitrile Gloves. Avoid disturbing the Nests and related areas covered in droppings and use NO CANNED or COMPRESSED AIR to break those Dirt and Dust Particles loose and have this friable material floating around you in the air nearby.

There are also After-Market outlets that sell this Generic Fibre-Glas covered in Black Fabric that can be cut into the approximate shapes of OEM Headliners and allow for its repair and replacement. Bag Up the remnants very carefully and dispose of these dreadful remnants in a responsible manner. The New Flat Plastic Disks just get pushed through the New Material and into the underside of the holes laid out in the Stamped Metal Struts for their retention.

Perform ALL of this work while Family Members, Strangers and Pets are advised to depart the area around the Vehicle. There is No Treatment or efficacious Cure available for the Victims of a HANTA Virus Infection. For Clean Up... Rather use Bleach in Water or 5% Calcium Hypochlorite mixed with Water in a Bucket and then Wet Wipe down EVERYTHING in the Under-Hood Areas and SAFELY Dispose of EVERYTHING collected in this manner:

Don’t be either casual or cavalier about this issue. Even the survivors of this illness suffer for years afterwards with debilitating Organ Damage and a severe reduction in their quality of life. These Images (Props and Recognition to @christo829 here for providing the GMT360 Rodent Damage Imagery portions that has shared) should bear out what you should be looking for under there... and assume for the sake of argument that being cautious in this event… is the Wise Man's Move.

HANTAVIRUSHEADLINES2.jpgHANTAVIRUSHEADLINES7.jpgHANTAVIRUSHEADLINES11.jpgIMG_20200208_135901440.jpgIMG_20200208_140623372_HDR.jpgIMG_20200208_140636317_HDR.jpgIMG_20200208_140734498_HDR.jpg
COVID-19-vs-Hantavirus.pnghantavirus-pulmonary-syndrome-799889034.jpg

Attachments

• hps-fact-sheet.pdf
    205.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) Florida Department of Health.pdf
    376.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: DIYguy

DIYguy

Original poster
Jun 8, 2024
FL
Thanks for the advice. I will proceed with caution. I killed a rat in a trap 10 ft from where I park about a month ago, which I suspect was the culprit.

Aside from checking for rodents and cleaning with care…
Is it actually necessary to replace the fiberglass liner at all?

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not Really... It is mostly meant to serve as the means to Sound Deaden the Engine Compartment and Resist Body Vibration and Road Noise that might affect "The Customer's Driving Comfort".. But in looking over Yours....You might like dropping in for a peek at THESE inexpensive Offers over on Amazon for all "The Raw Materials" necessary that look easy enough to Roll Out, then Transfer the Image and Outlines by using the Old Item as a Marking Template.

Then you can go to town with a Magic Marker, a Straight Edge and a Sharp Linoleum Knife while having that section laying atop a LARGE Piece of Cardboard. Then ... Carve away to your Hearts Delight... and keep the Heat and The Noise Down THERE ...Where it "OTTER" Be... Under The Hood... Where the secondary Vibration and Tire Noise also reside.

Heat and Sound Reflecting Material... and at a mere FRACTION of the $350.00 that the other Vendors have to offer for a "Finished Liner":

61otw6iRTwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg81ZveslPf2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg81OPL-UUG8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg81VfhCiujFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg71lJZPa0RCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg71oO+VdWHvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They also even have the proper Hood Liner Plastic Push Pin Kit for under Ten Bucks too:

61sWDTy5IAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg61bTJbwJnXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg61ZyZUUkBmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg71gG6IKpD4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg61nAQ6CcbSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg61Swq1358SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

719tq8QyAsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And here is the Inexpensive Three Piece Plastic Push Pin R&R Tool Set as well:

61tEuPDrxyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg71nLp2m25zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: DIYguy and Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't bother replacing it. My Caprice never even came with one.

Reactions: DIYguy

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Mine is the one shown in Mrrsm's post regarding rodents and Hantavirus. Aside from trimming back the loose hanging strips and ragged edges, I left it. Had it been chewed completely through I'd have probably just removed it. Less to attract more critters.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bbcman601

Members Online