Instrument cluster

Mommymobile8

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I'm having some issues with my instrument cluster, pretty much none of the gauges move at start up, the cluster lights come on and the check engine light still shows but as far as anything else including mileage I have nothing, could this be a faulty ignition switch or cluster itself or a grounding issue?idk if it matters because the problem used to happen every couple months for a day or less and then go back to working again but my battery is bad, it only dies on cold nights or if I don't start it for 17-20 hrs..thanks for any help

Magyver

Apr 9, 2012
A weak battery can cause all sorts of wierdness to happen with computer controlled systems. I would start there, then check the alternator, then worry about your cluster, if the symptoms persist. Fix the easy stuff first!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Please come back when you get that battery taken care of. And then you can get the codes read at the parts store and let us know what they say.

Mommymobile8

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I had my battery checked out and it has 12.7 volts and it said 100% charged, would that mean I have something drawing from the battery?and I dont have any codes sorry I just meant when the key is first turned the CEL comes on but goes off once started..

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Mommymobile8 said:
...would that mean I have something drawing from the battery?...
Most likely. Could still be a bad ignition switch, or some other "parasitic drain." That's a difficult troubleshooting project for anybody without some electrical tools and experience. Run a search for that phrase here and elsewhere. Do you have the tools and experience, or do you have atrusted mechanic who does?

Ericw259

Dec 6, 2011
Did you ever fix your problem with your instrument cluster? I am having the same issue with the gauges not working

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online