Installing new plugs

Big Al

Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I know this has been here before but I can't find it. I would like to change the plugs on my 05 4.2 and I saw some pics on how to do it. Any special tools needed? I have all standard tools to do the job, just don't want to screw up.
Thanks AL

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
May03lt has the videos we all worship. Not only changing the spark plugs, but he discusses tools in other videos. Subscribe and profit!

[video=youtube;hB95ERNaUUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB95ERNaUUk[/video]

Dec 19, 2011
Just DON'T over tighten the bolts that hold the coil packs on!! They get weaker over time. I know it says to torque it to 13 pounds.. but due to the extreme heat it is exposed to they become brittle. It'll be a PITA to get either of the last two nearest the cab out if the bolt breaks.
Make sure you use ONLY the AC Delco, Iridium, Resistor model 41-110. Anything else will run like crap. Summit Racing has pretty good deals going on right now.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Bigbadbowtie08 said:
I know it says to torque it to 13 pounds.. but due to the extreme heat it is exposed to they become brittle.

That's the reason that I showed using a dab of antiseize on the coil hold down bolts.:yes:

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
FWIW I know the 41-103's are kind of pricey (I think I paid ~$10.50), but I spotted a decent deal today that people may want to know about....already 1/3 off regular price PLUS get a $2/plug rebate till Dec 31 at Amazon, for $4.16 each after rebate

List Price: $9.74
Price: $6.16 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.
You Save: $3.58 (37%)
Post-purchase rebate: $2.00 Get forms
Price after rebate: $4.16

EDIT:cross posted to Discounts & Deals

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
The link from the Amazon page leads to an old version of the rebate form, which has expired.

I had to go directly to
the AC Delco site.

(after googling AC Delco spark rebate)

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
meerschm said:
I got it. I thought the f in FTW had four letters, not three.

Ive been waiting for someone to take roadies FTW the wrong way.... :thumbsup:

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Best price I found on the Iridiums was through RockAuto.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
MacMan said:
Best price I found on the Iridiums was through RockAuto.

You are correct, even with shipping vs amazon supersaver free shipping, still a buck or so less.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
Inch/Pound torque wrench

Don't forget to reattach the big vacuum tube under the air intake.

I would say to get some feeler gauges as well but the plugs come pre gapped so no adjustment should be necessary. I got some just to double check. You never know if they got jostled in shipping.

bugeyed

Dec 25, 2011
I put a bit of silicone grease on the rubber seal of the coil pack. Did this after one plug got flooded when the hood seal leaked & water got past the seal.

Cheers,
kev

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Hey folks, I'm stuck here. While cleaning my TB today, I thought I would check my plugs to see what kind of shape they are in (86,000 miles). I loosened up the hold-down bolts on #2 and #3 with no problems, but when I tried to pick up the coil packs, they come up about 1/4" and get hung up on something. I tried lightly twisting, rocking, making sure the hold-down bolt wasn't catching anything... They're just stuck. Is this common? Any suggestions on how I can pop them loose? Watching MAY03LT's video, it looks like they should just pull right out without any fuss, so what am I missing?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
Hey folks, I'm stuck here. While cleaning my TB today, I thought I would check my plugs to see what kind of shape they are in (86,000 miles). I loosened up the hold-down bolts on #2 and #3 with no problems, but when I tried to pick up the coil packs, they come up about 1/4" and get hung up on something. I tried lightly twisting, rocking, making sure the hold-down bolt wasn't catching anything... They're just stuck. Is this common? Any suggestions on how I can pop them loose? Watching MAY03LT's video, it looks like they should just pull right out without any fuss, so what am I missing?

I'm guessing you didn't remove the electrical connector?:thumbsup: other than that it shouldn't be hard.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I'm guessing you didn't remove the electrical connector?:thumbsup: other than that it shouldn't be hard.

Actually yes, I did. Pulled the grey clip and removed the plug on both coil packs I was trying to remove. I was working with #2 and #3 because they're out in the open and I've never worked with this kind of setup before. And now that I think about it, I believe I also tried #4 (without pulling the plug) with the same results. When I lifted up on each coil pack, it felt springy, like I was hitting a rubber stopper or some kind of lightweight metal, and since I wasn't sure what was underneath at the time, I didn't want to pry at them for fear of bending some delicate piece underneath.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
Actually yes, I did. Pulled the grey clip and removed the plug on both coil packs I was trying to remove. I was working with #2 and #3 because they're out in the open and I've never worked with this kind of setup before. And now that I think about it, I believe I also tried #4 (without pulling the plug) with the same results. When I lifted up on each coil pack, it felt springy, like I was hitting a rubber stopper or some kind of lightweight metal, and since I wasn't sure what was underneath at the time, I didn't want to pry at them for fear of bending some delicate piece underneath.

Just yank em out.nothing to hurt if that's what your worried about.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online