install troubles... HELP!

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
So I got the 2 RE Audio SEX 12d4's hooked up to a hifonics BRZ1200.1 and to say the least, Im not impressed. My 200 watt system was just the same. Im gonna have to look inside the box and check my wiring again, although Im 99% sure its right.

Supposedly im pushing 1200 watts at 1ohm. I have to jack the volume on my deck so high. The gain on the amp is set to about 75% and the bass knob is 50%. Sub Level on my deck is maxed out and the lpf is set to 55hz. The subs excursion is nothing like I expected it to be. I get some bass but not $600 worth lol.

Im not sure where to start exactly. The settings on the amp confuse me. HELP! :frown:

View attachment 20415

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 7
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 7
  • resubs.jpg
    resubs.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Are your subs wired to 1OHM? Your settings don't look to bad try bumping the low pass up and you shouldn't really need too much of that bass Eq but you can try to bump it up. Usually the problem your experiencing is an input level issue in my experience but that's already looking pretty good but you can bottom it out to see if you hit your gain. Those bass knobs will give weird cutoff points sometimes.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Gump2773 said:
the bass knob is 50%.

Maxxsonics isn't letting me download the manual but Im pretty sure that's a level control knob. Where it maxes out at is equal to the gain setting on the amp. So at 50%, it's only at half throttle. Try backing the gain of the amp all the way down, then turn the knob all the way up, and then adjust the gain on the amp normally.

The other settings look ok but I'd turn subsonic about 3/4 of the way up.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I think may03s advice will get you to the sound you want, Just don't wake up the neighbors while tuning.:thumbsup:

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
damn i hope thats the issue. im gonna have to go try it out. back in a flash

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
hmm mine just loads into the browser.

Just tried the bass knob at max and the amp gain controlled from there. not any better :confused:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Man this amp is rude lol , my next step would be get that input level down to 0.2V then try the process from there, I had the Hifonics Zeus 5 channel and I had a similar problem on the initial tune until I bottomed that voltage.

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
i downloaded the pdf... i can email it

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
LOL .. so u mean crank the gain? sorry im easily confused

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Gump2773 said:
Just tried the bass knob at max and the amp gain controlled from there. not any better

How far up did you go on the amp? Did the red clipping light come on on the remote?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I was lost the 1st time too dont worry.

Input Voltage- 0.2 V
Low Pass Filter- 100-120hz
Subsonic- 20-30hz
Knob- 75%-100%
Bass EQ- progressive adjustments.

Try that and see if you get your bump then re adjust your Low Pass Filter, I only say 120hz because it makes it easier for me atleast to get the level and gain I want then I cut it back to get the Hz shelf Im looking for. :twocents:

You might be suffering from bass addiction lol

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
Sounds like a lot of suggestions have been covered, but I will add one more thing to check. When you crank up the system are the subs moving together or opposite? ie pushing out and in at the same time, not one sub going in and the other out. If they appear to be in sync then you can forget it, but if they appear out of sync you have them wired out of phase and basically cancelling each other out. Otherwise like others mentioned nothing in your settings looks too out of place..

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
bass knob was jacked and the level on the amp was about 65% ... didnt turn any higher. im afraid to blow stuff up LOL

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
I was lost the 1st time too dont worry.

Input Voltage- 0.2 V
Low Pass Filter- 100-120hz
Subsonic- 20-30hz
Knob- 75%-100%
Bass EQ- progressive adjustments.

Try that and see if you get your bump then re adjust your Low Pass Filter, I only say 120hz because it makes it easier for me atleast to get the level and gain I want then I cut it back to get the Hz shelf Im looking for. :twocents:

You might be suffering from bass addiction lol

Ok let me ask this. Is it ok to be running the level turned all the way up? (aka: at 0.2v) If I turn the level on the amp all the way to 0.2v I see improvement.

And also the bass knob at 100%? I hear people say to never use the boost so ya, Im lost.

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Sorry I keep posting nonstop here but im on a roll.

The manual for the amp says to match the level on the amp with the output sensitivity on the HU. The RCA's on the HU have a 2.5v output. So I assume I should set the level on the amp to 2.5v then and go from there.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Gump2773 said:
Ok let me ask this. Is it ok to be running the level turned all the way up? (aka: at 0.2v) If I turn the level on the amp all the way to 0.2v I see improvement.

And also the bass knob at 100%? I hear people say to never use the boost so ya, Im lost.

The problem is people using Maxed out Gains, I have used bass knobs without disaster many times. Anyway just keep it around 3/4 for your comfort lol. The 0.2v is just boosting your RCA signal to get a good signal carry from HU to Amp. But I would keep it at 0.2v then bump you gain slightly until you hit your level, just don't max it. Blowing a RE is not an easy task, listen for clipping which is basically when your sub is going to far. Just progress your gain slightly and you should hit your mark.DON'T MAX IT! I have had 1000rms running to 600rms and 700rms subs without issue its all about tuning and not cranking a HU to the max to get bass! :thumbsup:

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
The problem is people using Maxed out Gains, I have used bass knobs without disaster many times. Anyway just keep it around 3/4 for your comfort lol. The 0.2v is just boosting your RCA signal to get a good signal carry from HU to Amp. But I would keep it at 0.2v then bump you gain slightly until you hit your level, just don't max it. Blowing a RE is not an easy task, listen for clipping which is basically when your sub is going to far. Just progress your gain slightly and you should hit your mark.DON'T MAX IT! I have had 1000rms running to 600rms and 700rms subs without issue its all about tuning and not cranking a HU to the max to get bass lol! :thumbsup:

OK!! So .. Im all worried about running maxed out "gain" which is different than "level" (at 0.2v) So my bass knob is my "gain" and shouldnt be maxed out with the 0.2v setting?

Im always nervous im gonna blow a sub out at the slightest rattle i turn stuff down

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
For a 2.5v deck I'd guesstimate that the gain would be around 2:00/3:00, which is a little more then the 65% that you mentioned. With the remote knob maxed, you can adjust the knob on the amp until the red light on the remote knob comes on, then back it off a touch.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ok you ready here we go lol
Tuning Simplified

Tune to match your HU

Start with your input voltage bottom it out to 0.2v then turn your head unit up if you hear clipping turn the voltage UP until your able to bump your HU at a higher volume. Make sure your Bass EQ is on 0 while doing this. So now your matched to your HU. See where your at with the bass by then.

The BASS EQ is boosting the lower HZ 40-80ish to make the bass louder, this is where people get bitter. Its not going to blow your subs if used correctly but can diminish sound quality sometimes its unnoticeable but it can give sloppy bass.

The Sub Sonic is for a ported box, If you know what HZ your box is built for if you used plans you can adjust to the frequency, If not a guestimate wot kill you here.

From my knowledge your knob works as a "remote" bass boost they do come in handy if its like 6 AM and you do not feel like trunk bumpin lol.

After you get your amp tuned then you can adjust your Low Pass to hit the level you want. I hope this clears it all up.

Im terrible at explaining this over a computer May03 made it alot easier by recommending to use the clip light. Thats why he is who he is lol

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
i had no idea that the bass knob had a red light on it :redface: I will stop being a nub and crank some knobs tomorrow and see what i can do. I need to tune my ears also to realize the rattling is not the sub but the tuna can of a vehicle its in!:rotfl:

and yea im not as dumb as these forums make me out to be, LOL. I soak in more info from an actual conversation

hitman

Jan 25, 2012
Gump2773 said:
i had no idea that the bass knob had a red light on it :redface: I will stop being a nub and crank some knobs tomorrow and see what i can do. I need to tune my ears also to realize the rattling is not the sub but the tuna can of a vehicle its in!:rotfl:

and yea im not as dumb as these forums make me out to be, LOL. I soak in more info from an actual conversation

Good luck i have the brutus 1700 watt and the thing shakes the crap out of my truck...
did you say you paid 600 bucks? i got mine brand new at my door for under 200 bucks

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
i paid 600 for the amp the 2 subs and the box materials. Ive tried just about every bit of advice ive seen and something just isnt adding up. going from 200 watts to 1200 I should be hearing a major difference. Comparing the 2 setups right now (old vs new) they are almost equal sounding.:hissyfit:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Gump2773 said:
Ive tried just about every bit of advice ive seen and something just isnt adding up. going from 200 watts to 1200 I should be hearing a major difference. Comparing the 2 setups right now (old vs new) they are almost equal sounding.:hissyfit:

Don't worry, we'll get it sounding right. :yes:

Did you mess with it since last night? Did you get the red clip light to come on?

hitman

Jan 25, 2012
YOUNG said:
where in the world did you get one at that price?!

i got the amp from onlinecarstereo.com my subs were from future shop think i paid 299 there the 2 12" mtx jackhammers in box

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Don't worry, we'll get it sounding right. :yes:

Did you mess with it since last night? Did you get the red clip light to come on?

Going to mess with it in a few minutes. Should the red clip light be on the wired bass remote?

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
Have you confirmed with a meter that you are presenting a 1 ohm load to the amp? If they are wired any other way you would be getting a lot less than 1200 watts and there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference from the amp you had. Going to 200 watts to 400 watts for example, if changing nothing else, wouldn't be very noticeable.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
What head unit are you running? And what pre amp output are you runnin?

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
What head unit are you running? And what pre amp output are you runnin?

El Cheapo HU.. JVC KWR-500

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
MMIN said:
Have you confirmed with a meter that you are presenting a 1 ohm load to the amp? If they are wired any other way you would be getting a lot less than 1200 watts and there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference from the amp you had. Going to 200 watts to 400 watts for example, if changing nothing else, wouldn't be very noticeable.

I have a multimeter here... but where do I connect the clips to test the amp?

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
So I just turned the level to .02v and subsonic at 33hz(box tuned) and the bass knob at 75% and they POUND. Cranked up the bass knob to 100% and I still see no red light on the bass knob. Hopefully thats a good thing. I wont be keeping the bass knob turned up that far anyway. Progress! In other news my back door speakers are blown to shit :undecided:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Gump2773 said:
I have a multimeter here... but where do I connect the clips to test the amp?

Disconnect the speaker leads from the amp. Set your DMM to ohms/continuity. Put one wire from the DMM on one speaker wire, the other DMM lead on the other speaker wire. This will tell you/us what the load is.

edit: just seen your reply, you don't have to do this now

Gump2773

Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Will I be able to leave the level at 0.2v as long as I dont max out the bass knob safely?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Gump2773 said:
Will I be able to leave the level at 0.2v as long as I dont max out the bass knob safely?

I would do it the opposite, I'd max out the knob and keep the amp at 2.5v. Higher adjustments like .2v are more likely to induct noise. Remember, that knob you have isn't like a bass boost knob that you're used to. The bass knob like the one for my RF T20001bd will boost a specific frequency from 0-18db. The remote knob that you have will adjust the level output up to the the gain setting on the amp. So if the gain setting on the amp is .2v, the knob will adjust all the way up to .2v. At .2v, I'd suspect the clip light would come on 3/4 of the way up on the knob.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.