Ignition Tumbler

anthonyl79

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Colorado
So I had a great time in Vegas till I landed at the air port and realized that my car keys where in the motel room safe! :duh::duh: CRAP!!! Having to get to work that same day I had to call the lock smith to come cut a key ($250). Couple months later I noticed that I can now start my car with NO KEY in the ignition. So I need to replace the tumbler portion. That part is on $50 dollars at the dealer but they want another $25 to key it the same as my old one. Does anybody know who to do this?

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
That's cool! Unlock your car, get in and start the car without a key. I'd really like that feature!

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
$25 is cheap. A locksmith will charge you more, but they and the dealer have a kit of assorted pins to match your existing key. If you do it yourself you won't have the benefit of that kit. Cheapest way out is to buy a new cylinder and just get keys made to match the new key. I got an assembly used off Ebay that had a new ignition switch electrical section PLUS the cylinder for about $10 once. All I wanted was the switch. Check Ebay.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
n0kfb said:
That's cool! Unlock your car, get in and start the car without a key. I'd really like that feature!

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

My friend liked that feature and made his own version. Back when Gm had 2 keys he would cut the head off the ignition key and push the keyed part into the ignition, he left enough so you could get it out with needle nose pliers. Unless you looked at it really closely you couldn't tell it was in there. He only had to carry around the door key.

Not something I would do....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online