Ignition Switch

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I just replaced the ignition switch based on the posted DIY (which was great). Now when I park on a steep incline i can't remove the key from the ignition, it will come out fine on a flat parking lot. It also works fine otherwise, is there an adjustment I need to make?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The ignition switch electrical part is separate from the key cylinder, so I'm thinking the problem isn't in the column but it's a coincidence you noticed it after the maintenance. It may be your PARK detection switch on the driver's side of the tranny has an issue? Can you try to wiggle that and see if the switch behavior changes?

Does it do it for both forward and backward inclines?

Or it's a coincidental issue in the key cylinder mechanics.

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Roadie,

Thanks for the advice I'll check it out. You saved me from tearing the whole thing apart again. One quick question is the key supposed to kick back at all after you start it (kind of like a spring action). This one doesn't.

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thanks, I'll try that first. I thought i counted the teeth correctly but if the kick back action isn't working i'll try moving the teeth back by one.

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Roadie,

Thanks for the advice, I took the switch out and moved it back one tooth and it's working fine. You saved me a major headache.

jph3190

Dec 24, 2011
the roadie said:
I have a noob co-worker with the same issue and he's called me twice this morning to help through the identical issue. Small world. Glad I could help.

MY problem started after a small hit in the rear bumber, which destroyed my trailer hitch lighted cover. Next thing i knew the key would not turn to the off position and can not be removed. I parked on a slight incline, nose up and suddenly the key came out. When I parked on a down word incline it got stuck again. It is a royal pain to have to keep un hooking the battery everytime i park. I suspect the parking sensor on the trans. I had an old 70's buick regal that the answer was a minor adjustment on the cable. Everybody else thinks the ignition switch module. Also i read about the release button on earlier Trailblazers, but there is no button cover or opening on my console.:confused:

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
There is a key release the only problem is that it is under the cover around the switch. If you remove the cover and look to the right of the switch you will see a button you can depress to release the key.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaywebb25

Members Online