Ignition Switch or Starter Problem

paperenginner

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 2006 Envoy Denali had a starting problem the other day. My wife took it for a short drive in the morning. Then it was parked in the garage and I lifted the rear end to replace the air shocks. Then I used the key "on" feature to run the air compressor and blow up the new bags without starting it up. Then I lowered the truck and replaced the spare and buttoned everything up. The only electrical item I touched was the 30 amp fuse for the compressor while I was working on the system. When I tried to started the truck to take it on a test drive I had nothing. All lights and items came on as normal including the air compressor and internal heater fan. But when I went to the "start" positon the engine wouldn't crank. I replaced the battery last year and new it was strong but I tried to jump the system with my truck as it was easy to do and can quickly elimenate the battery. I still had the exact same problem so it was not the battery.

Then after reading other posts I did some more troubleshooting. I verified that the fuses were good and that the starter relay in the hood fuse block was pulling in when the key was turned. The relay only clicks once and then nothing. Of course my vehicle is the 5.3L V8 so the starter is buried so couldn't get a tester on the leads into the solinoid to verify power. After trying this probably a dozen times with no change I went in. Then to find the starter I lifted up the passenger front. I proceded to tap it a few times but that was it. Then after lowering the truck I tried it again and nothing. But when I tried it a second time it fired right up without a hitch. After all the threads that I could find they all boiled down to two fixes. Either their problem was the ignition switch or the starter/solinoid.

My question is if my ignition module was the culpurate would the starter relay pull in? I am thinking not and in turn this means my starter is the problem but since it will take me all day to pull the dumb thing out I would really like to have more confidence before I take this on. The starter is not spinning or moving and the engine is not turning over. If it was an older vehicle I would say that starter was in a dead spot but I am not sure if this can happen on mine. I know if you have a flaky ignition switch that it will cause strange problems but I don't want to sink $50 into this if I can avoid it.

So please if you can say for certain if my igntion switch was preventing the starter solinoid from getting power would the relay under the hood pull in, please respond. So far this is the only occurance but I would like to fix the problem before I get a call from my wife in a cold parking lot at night!

Help!

Matt

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If the starter relay clicks it isn't your ignition switch. Could be wiring to the starter, or the starter.

paperenginner

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I am glad to hear someone confirm what I was thinking. Now if it happens again I will bite the bullet and tear the truck down and look at the starter. It has been nearly a month since this has happened and I hope it never happens again but at least I know where to begin. I appreciate the quick feedback.

Thanks,

Matt

06TrailLT2

Jan 24, 2012
I'm having the same problem it happened twice. The first time I turned the key and nothing(except lights, radio etc. came on) so I pulled the key out and tried it again and started, the second time:lipsrsealed: it took a couple minutes to get it started. I was like you, new battery within the last year or so and you could hear the starter kick in, fuses were ok since it did start.:undecided: I checked the connections to the starter and now I haven't had a problem with it in the past month so I hope its good now.

Gibby

Jan 15, 2012
I have had to replace the ignition switch twice, not the key part, but the part the key moves when in, takes about 15 minute to swap, seems to just ear out and you have to really turn the key hard to get it to start.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online