idler pulley whining

corky

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Portland OR
So about a month ago i started getting a slight whining noise from my truck. It sounded like a power steering pump low on fluid sound or maybe a tranny whine as it would raise and lower in pitch with acceleration. with all the rain and cold weather and lacking a garage i kind of put off the noise after checking all the fluid levels but as the noise started increasing and my wife complaining about the noise i was forced to further investagate. I removed my fan belt and the noise immediatly dissapated thank goodness becouse I didnt want to have to deal with engine problems as the accesories are cheaper to replace. After narrowing the noise down to the drivers side of the truck i removed the idler pulley first and tested it. Yes i did test it by hand on the truck and ther was no noise or play but after spinning it up with a buffer wheel it produced a high picth whine so i had my parts guy order me a new one from car quest for a mere 12.00 dollars made by dorman products. I now have a quiter truck and less noisy wife.:wootwoot:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Very, very common failure of the idler pulley. I'll change your title to reflect its common name (not "gear") so others will find it when they search for "whine". :thumbsup:

corky

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Portland OR
Thanks, I didnt realize i wrote gear instead of pulley.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online