Idler pulley stops?

bpdebroy88

Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
Today i was changing the oil in my envoy and i noticed that every few seconds the idler pulley stops spinning for a few seconds then continues in that pattern. Belt still runs. Is this supposed to happen, ive never noticed it before?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not supposed to happen.. I would take the belt off and turn it by hand, wrench around on it with your hand and see if there's any play in or out and see if you can feel a grind when turning it.

Reactions: kickass audio

phillyflapjak

Dec 8, 2011
Its not supposed to do that. It sounds like that idler pulley is going bad do like Mounce said and take the belt off and rotate it and see if you feel or hear grinding if so go to autozone or whatever parts store is around and get another idler pulley they are like 15$

Reactions: Mounce

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And if you've never changed the belt you might consider that as well. The slipping could have heated up or glazed the flat back.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
BlazingTrails said:
It's funny this just came up, I ordered a gates kit for my truck that should arrive today. Idler, tensioner, belt, and a/c delco water pump. Just preventative maintenance.
They have a whole kit, like you just make one purchase and it comes with all this stuff?

Reactions: bpdebroy88

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
IllogicTC said:
They have a whole kit, like you just make one purchase and it comes with all this stuff?
Technically it was 2 purchases but since it was eBay its still kinda just one.

:yes:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414458423743.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1414458423743.png
    165 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414458428754.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1414458428754.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: dmanns67

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
bpdebroy88 said:
Today i was changing the oil in my envoy and i noticed that every few seconds the idler pulley stops spinning for a few seconds then continues in that pattern. Belt still runs. Is this supposed to happen, ive never noticed it before?
Just to be sure... You are talking about the ider pully and not the compressor clutch?

idler pully
DSC09971-1.jpg

compressor clutch
008-1.jpg

phillyflapjak

Dec 8, 2011
The idler under my alt just like in the pic took a shit and started making a terrible squealing noise a couple months back i paid 16$ replaced it and everythings been good. I also replaced the Tensioner because the spring went bad and wasnt keeping enough tension on the belt

LikeEnvoy

Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Hmm, a whining noise suddenly started on my Envoy after an oil change a few weeks ago. I think the oil change was a coincidence and although I first thought it was power steering pump, I found from listening that the sound was from the idler pulley side; the whine speeds up with engine rpm. So I'm getting a new pulley soon. (167,000km)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online