Idle abnormal after long trip

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I have an 03 envoy and after long trips(100+miles) the idle is stuck at 1000 rpms driving around town whenever i sit at stop lights. i have to press on the brakes with a little bit more pressure for the truck not to move. Is this the pedal sensor acting up?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
warriorpluto said:
I have an 03 envoy and after long trips(100+miles) the idle is stuck at 1000 rpms driving around town whenever i sit at stop lights. i have to press on the brakes with a little bit more pressure for the truck not to move. Is this the pedal sensor acting up?

It's your thermostat more than likely. It's stuck open. If the coolant stays below a certain temp for long at idle the PCM will command the idle to increase in order to try and heat up the engine to normal operating temp. But obviously it can't if the thermostat is stuck open. This is more noticeable in the winter. Do you have any codes pending?

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
CaptainXL said:
It's your thermostat more than likely. It's stuck open. If the coolant stays below a certain temp for long at idle the PCM will command the idle to increase in order to try and heat up the engine to normal operating temp. But obviously it can't if the thermostat is stuck open. This is more noticeable in the winter. Do you have any codes pending?

No codes whatsoever

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
warriorpluto said:
It stays in the middle the whole time

I don't care what the gauge on the dash shows. You need to use a scan tool to get the temperature from the PCM.

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
CaptainXL said:
I don't care what the gauge on the dash shows. You need to use a scan tool to get the temperature from the PCM.

Oh OK. Ill try to use my scanxl software

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
+1 for the Tstat. Had a similar problem til I changed it 4 weeks ago. Though I knew it was bad for over a month the code only came up once

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
IMHO thermostats should be changed every 5 years as preventative maintenance when the coolant is scheduled to be changed. The cost to replace the thermostat is minor when changing the coolant. They also seem to fail around that 5 year mark give or take a couple years. Depends on how many miles are on the truck and if the coolant has ever been changed.

warriorpluto

Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
CaptainXL said:
IMHO thermostats should be changed every 5 years as preventative maintenance when the coolant is scheduled to be changed. The cost to replace the thermostat is minor when changing the coolant. They also seem to fail around that 5 year mark give or take a couple years. Depends on how many miles are on the truck and if the coolant has ever been changed.

Guess this would be on the list for next month

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online