i want to add a tranny temp gauge

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
can someone tell me what sensor ill need and where it should go(ive seen somewhere someone put it in the tranny in the side and someone else in the line ) but I cant find it iv been searching
id like some sort of small digital readout I can mount somewhere not a big round ugly one just like to see some install pics and figure what works best
thanks

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Have you considered using something like torque and a bluetooth dongle. You can get trans temp readout as well as a bunch of other stuff. You could also run a scan gauge.

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
yeah I thought of the sg ii but you would think for the money they want it wouldn't be so ugly , I have the ultraguage and it looks sooo much better than the SGII but lacks some key readouts

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Have you considered using something like torque and a bluetooth dongle. You can get trans temp readout as well as a bunch of other stuff. You could also run a scan gauge.

hi,
I have torque and the BT Dongle, what option do I use to get the trans temp?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I tapped directly into my trans pan for my gauge... 1/8th fitting and the appropriate weld in bung and now I have a temp gauge and a drain plug since most of these things didn't come with a drain... so I wouldn't have any down time, I just bought a new pan from the dealer ($14 my cost) and had my brother weld in the bung, then I just took my SS in for a tranny service (pan drop and filter change) and just gave them the new pan with the bung and temp sendor unit already Installed, then I just wired it up back home in my garage...

The esiest way is just to get the aeroforce scan gauge.. but at $230 for a brand new one, I just opted for a $30 gauge, $14 pan, & $5 bung.. sure the scan gauge by far is better and tells you just about everything, but I didn't have the money for that...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have Torque and the ELM327 as well, even after loading the GM PIDs, the Trans Temp doesn't read properly, so I've hung onto my SGII. :twocents:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Boricua SS said:
I tapped directly into my trans pan for my gauge... 1/8th fitting and the appropriate weld in bung and now I have a temp gauge and a drain plug since most of these things didn't come with a drain... so I wouldn't have any down time, I just bought a new pan from the dealer ($14 my cost) and had my brother weld in the bung, then I just took my SS in for a tranny service (pan drop and filter change) and just gave them the new pan with the bung and temp sendor unit already Installed, then I just wired it up back home in my garage...

The esiest way is just to get the aeroforce scan gauge.. but at $230 for a brand new one, I just opted for a $30 gauge, $14 pan, & $5 bung.. sure the scan gauge by far is better and tells you just about everything, but I didn't have the money for that...

You can also tap the pressure test port on the side of the tranny, this is where the sender should thread right into.

I agree that Aeroforce is pricey, I think the one thing it does that can justify the price is a CASE relearn. That can be a $50-100 savings right there if you plan on a tune.

While on the topic, does the torque app pretty much cover everything the aeroforce does, except for the CASE relearn? If so, sounds tempting.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
gmcman said:
You can also tap the pressure test port on the side of the tranny, this is where the sender should thread right into.

I agree that Aeroforce is pricey, I think the one thing it does that can justify the price is a CASE relearn. That can be a $50-100 savings right there if you plan on a tune.

While on the topic, does the torque app pretty much cover everything the aeroforce does, except for the CASE relearn? If so, sounds tempting.

I researched that test port for the 4L70e's on ssowners and the general consensus was that it didn't work.. so bung it was for me :rotfl:

I too am having the same issues as Carlton... still can't get a tranny or oil temp through the torque app... but generally speaking, the app is like an aero force without the CASE relearn.. it can check and clear codes, and reads a lot of parameters from our pcm's (after you enter your vehcile info in your profile). . I'm just not "too" confident/relying in/on it.. it is streaming wirelessly through bluetooth, so I imagine there could be lags at some point.. but for $5 bucks for the app, and another $10-$15 for the obdII bluetooth adapter, its a win win to me..

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
xj2202009 said:
hi,
I have torque and the BT Dongle, what option do I use to get the trans temp?

I posted the instructions in one of the ELM327 threads.

You need to find the find the extra PIDs menu and select the GM/Holden etc one. After the PIDs are added go to the gauge screen and add a new gauge. Near the bottom of the list you will see Transmission Fluid Temp (GM method 1) and Transmission Fluid Temp (GM method 2). Select one and place the gauge on your screen. It may take a few minutes, or require you to reset the app, but one should work on your truck. It seems to be different with everyone as to what "activates" it. I have done this with 4 different phones and a few different ELM scanners for friends, it worked in my buddies Rainier.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
blazinlow89 said:
... It seems to be different with everyone as to what "activates" it. I have done this with 4 different phones and a few different ELM scanners for friends, it worked in my buddies Rainier.

:undecided: Maybe that's one of those things that varies between the different model year circuitry? My Transmission fluid gauge on Torque just bounces between negative to positive values all over the map. :hopeless:

If there was some kinda guide on how to tweak those PIDs, that would be helpful to fine tune things. :yes:

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
so there is a port on the side that a sensor could thread right into?? is that right ??
I thought I saw somewhere someone added one to a tee in the cooler line I would think it would be the line out of trans to the cooler

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
aeroforce has case relearn!?!?!? SOLD sorry to hijack. And BTW my torque has been decent with trans temp reading. but would love to have a real gauge as well.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
aeroforce has case relearn!?!?!? SOLD sorry to hijack. And BTW my torque has been decent with trans temp reading. but would love to have a real gauge as well.

I want to make sure it works on the 02 but looks like a winner.

Attachments

• Aero1.jpg
    Aero1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 25

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
blazinlow89 said:

For some reason neither of the trans temp options in Torque show any reading on my truck :confused:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Sparky said:
For some reason neither of the trans temp options in Torque show any reading on my truck :confused:

Thinking back I seem to remember reading that not all of the scanners.are made the same. I do not know if it has anything to do with model, series, version, etc. Maybe it has something to do with one of the settings in the menu. Its hard to say as it seems some people ha e the issue, others don't. If only we could find the common denominator. :undecided:

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Sparky said:

I would also think that my Actron CP9580 would give me the transmission temp but no PID shows up for me.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:confused: OK, I stand corrected. Checked the tranny temp in Torque on the way in to work, and now both of the GM options are matching my SGII. No idea what changed since the first time I loaded the GM PIDS, but I'll take it!! :crazy:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
It comes back and forth on my tablet sometimes my trans temp will read 32 then half way on my way to work it shoots to 180 and the green light starts showing activity on the gauge it may be a bug.

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I think a regular gauge would be more accurate
not sure if that pod would obstruct the dash or not id like a piller pod set up but not sure what else id put into it

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Tofer76 said:
I think a regular gauge would be more accurate
not sure if that pod would obstruct the dash or not id like a piller pod set up but not sure what else id put into it

Boost gauge :biggrin:

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
well that wont do me any good lol
was thinking a digi voltmeter but there is a analog for that

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
For those who have Torque, but the trans temp isn't working, I think I may have found something that might help you.

Up until this week (well over a year) I hadn't been able to get the trans temp to read properly with the 2 GM PIDs loaded. Today I went to check it again on the drive home, and the first GM option read 75 degrees, and the second one didn't register at all. I have the 2 trans temp gauges on a secondary page in the app. I restarted Torque, and before it connected to the ECU, I flipped to that second page that contained the trans temp gauges. (I remembered I did this when it worked on Monday)

For some reason, if the trans temp gauges are on screen when the ECU connects, the gauges work. If I flip to the pages they are on AFTER the ECU connects, they don't read correctly. No idea what could cause this, but I was able to replicate these results several times (made for decent entertainment at red lights :tongue:) Hopefully this helps some people out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online