I need some help with sway bar links

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Alright, Well after four hours I have given up. I Stripped the allen wrench hole on the sway bar link.... I am at a dead end. Any advise on how to get it off? I am thinking of just cutting it? Also, I bought a Pittman arm puller and I cant get it to fit on the Yoke. I was trying to use that As a last resort.... Thanks!:hissyfit:

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
I used a hacksaw to cut the nut in a couple places.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I tried the Impact wrench didnt work. I am going to cut it, but Its a pain with the hacksaw. Is there another way? or am I Shit out of luck.. Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking a cutoff wheel, But I dont have one...lol

jham

Nov 20, 2011
03envoy said:
I tried the Impact wrench didnt work. I am going to cut it, but Its a pain with the hacksaw. Is there another way? or am I Shit out of luck.. Thanks for the replies!

hack saw, cut off wheel, reciprocating saw.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks guys!

Any Ideas for the Otherside when I do that one?

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Ace1875 said:
I PB blasted mine night before and sprayed them again 5min prior to undoing them. They came off easily.

Funny thing is... I did it for 2 weeks, And I still have a shit load of rust on everything and I had to hammer every bolt out.....

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
jham said:
For my end links I just used a big wrench and put it in between the link and the bar and used impact gun to get all mine off

What do you mean by this? a wrench between the Link and the bar????

jlipp84

Mar 27, 2012
Didnt have the same trouble with mine but it seemed like the new ones came with all the parts needed if you wanted to cut them. If they are in really bad shape now you should be able to move the link out of the way and cut through the boot. Worth a shot if you are still having issues!

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
jlipp84 said:
Didnt have the same trouble with mine but it seemed like the new ones came with all the parts needed if you wanted to cut them. If they are in really bad shape now you should be able to move the link out of the way and cut through the boot. Worth a shot if you are still having issues!

I plan to try and get them off. But if I cant, I am going to cut them.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
The first time I did them I cut them off with a reciprocating saw. Took about 3 minutes. Next time I used anti-seize.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
tblazerdude said:
The first time I did them I cut them off with a reciprocating saw. Took about 3 minutes. Next time I used anti-seize.

I broke down, and Spent $210 to get it installed. I just didnt have the right tools and couldnt cut the damn thing off. Over all I spent about $450 on my front struts and a sway bar link... I still got to do trans and Transfer case. I am pissed but it saved me the trouble with the rust. It was HORIBBLE!:eek::no: Thanks for the replies!

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
This is a great tip about the wrench, I used it myself when pulling off my end links as well. On the first side I got the bottom off just fine, using a impact driver and a wrench as described. I also used force with the wrench causing as much pressure as I could and the nut spun right off. The top of the link was another story. I did not have a swivel socket, and there wasn't enough room to get my 1/2 impact tool in behind there so I ended up using a hex socket and just stripped the allen bolt end without even budging the nut. I ended up using an angle grinder, cutting off the fat nut, and then grinding down the "washer" side of it until I could see the circular outline of the bolt showing through all that nice shiny metal. Then used a screwdriver to pry up the washer a little bit followed by a chisel which then popped off the nut and it all fell apart nicely. This was a major PIA to do and took time!

Before I did the second side, I bought a $10 swivel socket extension for my impact driver, and kept some penetrating oil handy. The bottom spun right off like above, using a wrench like before. The top took some work, but I was able to move the nut almost to the end, constantly applying penetrating oil (kroil). At that point I could use an hex socket and open ended wrench, and the nut came right off. What a difference a $10 swivel socket made holy cow.

Thanks again for the tip! :smile:

-Jerry

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online