I/M system check fail at emissions inspection, any ideas?

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Got a (Monitor EVAP) & (Monitor O2) Not Ready fail today and flunked my annual. No codes just that these two monitors won't complete their tests. I told the tech that the only thing that I did was replace the oil pressure sender when it failed and cleared the code. He said that I didn't drive it enough after that but, that was two months ago and I've been driving it all over at all speeds.
I have the complete drive cycle instructions from the factory manual and before I try that ( it's extensive) I thought I might bring it up here in case someone has had this happen. The gas cap is tight, what say you?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sometimes it takes the complete drive cycle for that stuff to clear. I know it sometimes entail a 50 mile drive to complete in a single session.

Reactions: northcreek

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On the V8 on these trucks, for whatever reason, the O2 I/M readiness takes even longer than the Evap, which in itself can take a long time, especially when it's cold. Is your State test the same as ours where one of them can be not ready and still pass? If so, there is a way to force the Evap test to complete but you would need a Tech 2 to do it. Even then, it has to be above freezing to do the tests. Otherwise, just drive it, keep the gas between 3/4 and 1/4 tank as much as possible, and do when it's above freezing.

This guide has a method to help the Evap tests but I tried it and it just wouldn't go to ready. Maybe you'll have better luck.
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

And for the O2, that one took months on mine. Nothing can be done except drive it. Could be temperature related.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Thanks guys, Looks like I'm in for some longer trips.
They used to allow up to two fails in my state but,now it's just a 10 day extension to get it fixed. From what you say and what I've read it seems that the temperature thing makes the most sense and it's really been cold here. I'll report back on the fix.
This is the factory manual procedure for the 5.3. Sorry for the hack job but, these huge manuals don't like printers.
Scan.jpeg

Last edited:

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I was wrong on the fail allowance in NY (EPA). Here it is:
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines allow up to two monitors to be in a "not ready" state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and one monitor "not ready" for 2001 or newer model year vehicles.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Follow-up, I finally got the O2 sensor "ready" which got me good enough to pass emissions, still have the EVAP "not ready".
The generic reset instructions did not work, I got half way though the factory (3-page) instructions and said F-it.
I did remove my Range AFM disable device which may/may not have been slowing the reset down and drove the hell out of it for two days.
Sold my Range on Ebay today and I'm going back to AFM which is imperceptible to me anyway.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sold my Range on Ebay today and I'm going back to AFM which is imperceptible to me anyway.

Until it fails I'm sorry to say.

At least it passed. Evap will eventually but just takes a long time. At this point you don't need to care.

Reactions: northcreek

tracycunn

Dec 20, 2022
Jonesboro Ga
Got a (Monitor EVAP) & (Monitor O2) Not Ready fail today and flunked my annual. No codes just that these two monitors won't complete their tests. I told the tech that the only thing that I did was replace the oil pressure sender when it failed and cleared the code. He said that I didn't drive it enough after that but, that was two months ago and I've been driving it all over at all speeds.
I have the complete drive cycle instructions from the factory manual and before I try that ( it's extensive) I thought I might bring it up here in case someone has had this happen. The gas cap is tight, what say you?
I’ve been going through hell trying to pass my emissions and I’ve driven after every repair, and it hasn’t done a thing, other than burning up gas and adding miles. Sorry I can’t help you; I’m here for solutions too!

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I had that same problem, and a poster on here helped me fix it.
When the engine is up to temp, drive at 50 mph steady for 2 minutes. I had tthe Tech 2 hooked up, did it, ran the test and passed. The computer dosn't run that test often.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online