I have to replace dreaded spline disconnect

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well, I too have suffered a splined disconnect failure. Bearings are going producing a grinding, scraping, squealing noise at low speed. I have bought a replacement but was wondering if ahy fluid will leak out when I remove the old one. I noticed no fluid came out when I was in there this summer replacing my axle but maybe it was because I had the front lifted way up for working room. So my question is, will any fluid leak out and if so what would it be: oil or gear lube?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
There is no gear oil in the disconnect (which is possibly a reason why they so easily fail). They are filled with a thicker axle grease.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Nothing will leak. The oil stays in the pan because there's a tube cast into the pan that keeps them separate. The differential fluid will (or should not) leak across from the driver's side because the intermediate shaft has its own seal on the engine's side of the diff.

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks that's what I figured but I am also due for an oil change and if it was oil that would have leaked out, I would have changed my order of the repair by draining the oil first.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.