Human Machine Interface (HMI)

kgschlosser

Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
Evergreen, Colorado
OK folks this is the skinny.

I do not own a GM Truck or SUV but what I am designing/building will be able to work on these vehicles. There are a lot of folks that seem to love the Torque application. This is about 4 levels up from where the Torque app is.

A Human Machine Interface (HMI) for a vehicle is what is seen in premium vehicles like the Tesla. There is nothing available in the aftermarket world that offers this and what comes close are replacement gauge clusters that require modifications to your dashboard and/or replacing the OE ECM in the vehicle. They are limited to only the telemetry that is available from the ECM or the PCM.

I have a 2008 Pontiac Solstice that has some modifications done to it (over 400 whp) and I wanted additional information available to me, things like Oil Pressure, actual coolant temp, calculated oil temp and afr just to name a few. These vehicles are already small and i didn't want to have a grip of gauges all over the dashboard and the A pillar. It would make the interior feel even smaller.

So I started looking for a gauge cluster replacement. the ones I found would not allow me to retain my factory cluster bezel and some of them had graphics on them that looked like it was made for an Atari.

Nothing I found was going to be able to work for what I wanted. So I set out on making a replacement cluster. During my designing process I thought of a few things that I would also love to add like Parking Cameras, Parking Assist Sensors, Lane Assist, HUD, Curve-Active Headlights, Active Rear Spoiler. I am able to tie these systems into what I am designing and they will provide these types of features. 360° Birds Eye View, Active Reverse Guides, Blind Spot vision, Object identification including distance readout, HUD without a projector and not using the windshield as the display area, Navigation, Hands Free Phone.

There would be no modification of the dashboard that would need to be done,, and the system would interface with the factory steering wheel controls. The GUI and gauges would be user customizable to the fullest extent and can be 100% unique to a person vehicle.

Here is an example of what it can look like. You have to excuse the visuals not being perfectly smooth and seeing some color anomalies, This is caused by the animated GIF encoder used so I can attach an example to a forum post.

what you are seeing logged data from my vehicle using HP Tuners. This example is not actually built yet It is a proof of concept. I am currently writing the software and have selected the hardware I am going to use.

ezgif.com-resize(2).gif

I want to be able to support a decent number of GM vehicles. the nice thing about GM is for the most part the gauge clusters do not varry in size to much and the clusters are pretty big. The screen and electronics to be able to run this are going to fit into the stock cluster location. It is going to be an Intel I5 or I7 based computer with 8GB of memory and a 64GB SSD.

I have most of the GUI coded and I am working on the vehicle interface, this is where I could use some assistance. I do not have access to all of the various vehicles that GM has made over the last 20 years and GM does quite frequently change the messages that travel along the bus from year to year and also from model to model.

I am familiar with mode $22 for getting additional telemetry from the vehicle. While this will be able to be used along with SAE OBDII mode 1 PIDS I want to be able to offer access to the data directly and not have to send out a request. This is going to provide optimal updating speed. On 2008+ GM vehicles we have HSCAN and also SWCAN SWCAN being for low speed data, things like a door being open, or setting the delay on turning off your headlights after you exit the vehicle.
I need to reverse engineer both of these types of data systems. There is some information available on the internet but it is not a large amount. I have read the posts by @TJBaker57 and maybe they would be willing to lend a hand with the reverse engineering aspects. If there is anyone that has information about the data systems on their vehicle and would like to lend a hand PM me the information that you have.

Thank you for any help you are willing to provide.

Kevin.

Attachments

• ezgif.com-optimize.gif
    ezgif.com-optimize.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online