How to take of bumper cover

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I can't find a video or how to remove the front bumper cover for my 2004 gmc envoy. I found this picture in a thread but it didnt show how it comes off. I have the exact same problem.

View attachment 23756

Attachments

• bumper.JPG
    bumper.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 13

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It is probably similar to the Traiblazer.

Remove grille and headlights
Remove pushpins along the bottom edge of the bumper and the one on each lower corner near the wheels
Remove pushpins along the top of the bumper underneath where the grille was
Disconnect side lights/fog lights/etc
Pull the bumper straight off the front, taking note of the built-in clips near the top (take a look from under teh bumper, you'll see what I mean)

That's the basics of it. I can take mine off in about 15 min.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Tie rope around front bumper cover. Tie the other end to something sturdy. But envoy into R. Slam on pedal and poof its a gone.....just kiddin. Its what sparky said.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Sparky said:
It is probably similar to the Traiblazer.

Remove grille and headlights
Remove pushpins along the bottom edge of the bumper and the one on each lower corner near the wheels
Remove pushpins along the top of the bumper underneath where the grille was
Disconnect side lights/fog lights/etc
Pull the bumper straight off the front, taking note of the built-in clips near the top (take a look from under teh bumper, you'll see what I mean)

That's the basics of it. I can take mine off in about 15 min.

Yes, the Envoy is very similar if not exactly the same.
Sparky, If your process above refers to these then I didn't understand, and just wanted to make it clear.

There is a locating pin on the front lower area of each fender inside of the bumper cover rearward of the cornering light that slips into a guide, that guide is designed with a retaining latch that needs to be released so that the bumper cover end can be slid forward and off of the pin.

These guide/latch parts are glued/fastened to the inside of the bumper cover and often get damaged in an accident. The result is the bumper can come off of the pins without needing to release them (latch finger is damaged or missing). Or the entire guide/latch gets detached from the bumper cover. Damage in this pin mount area often causes a large gap.

Be careful not to damage the guide/latch by just yanking.

Once the cover is off, you may find the pin and its mount bracket located on the front bottom of the fender is bent, (mine was) and you can tweak it upwards a given amount to reduce the gap when the cover is installed. Some gap is normal.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hm, I don't recall any latches on the sides of mine :confused: Just the guide pins sticking out that C shaped guide on the inside of the cover hangs on to. But then the cover was evidently replaced at one point by the previous owner, so who knows. It doesn't go anywhere.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online