How to Replace TB/Envoy rear shocks stock or Tahoe shocks

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Vehicle this applies to: all GMT360/370/305 (swb,lwb(xl),xuv)

Tools needed:
18mm wrench
18mm socket and ratchet or impact wrench
a long extension if your using a ratchet

Parts needed:
new rear shocks, I used Autozone Gabriel - Proguard

Time to complete:
30 minutes total for both sides.

1. Ok well first things first, Jack up the car from the frame but not to far up and place a jack stand under it for safety.
DSC_0156.JPG

2. Loosen the top bolt enough that it comes out and gets stuck downwards if it gets stuck upwards its ok. now jack up or lower the car until the bolt looks straight or you see it move when straight meaning its coming out if you have a helper have them pull it as it moves, once you get the bolt perfectly aligned its a quick straight shot replacement of the shock
DSC_0155.JPG

3. now go under the car and remove the bottom bolt.
DSC_0157.JPG
as a side note it may be a good idea to put the bolt pointing out rather than in. idk if its from the factory but the first time i changed the shocks the bolt head was next to the rim which was a bit less easier to pull out as compared to having it flipped the other way.

and now the installation is just the reverse, just bolt everything in and tighten it up then lower the truck and be happy at your work. :smile:

One thing to watch out for it the threaded bracket that goes behind the upper shock it can sometimes drop down and you wont be able to get the bolt in so if you cant get it to screw in just check the clip which you can see in the first shock pic above.

Also keep the strap that held the new shocks they will help later
DSC_0158.JPG
DSC_0159.JPG

Ok now this part is for Tahoe shock installing people. both springs and shocks came from a 07-14 Tahoe. For Springs (Z71 springs) i got them from ebay and you can get the shocks anywhere

the shocks i bought were for a 2011 tahoe from autozone. (trim dose not matter) Once you get them go to home depot or any home improvement store and get some 3/8" washers, (iirc they are 3/8") one pack is enough i used 5 washers on both sides of each shock. if the number is uneven then you may have to expand the shock brackets i had to expand mines a bit since they squish pretty easy when using impact tools. just pry them out
DSC_0150.JPG
DSC_0147.JPG
DSC_0148.JPG

Now im shure you want to know about the tahoe shocks and springs (know as Z71 springs) so here's the answer to the biggest question.

How do they feel?

Shock and Spring:
they are "very firm" i wouldn't say stiff because that would mean they would probably be unbearable to drive with but these were not, but this opinion is mainly extended to anyone sitting in the front, anyone in the back usually said when i went over speed bumps fast is "i just hit my head and my spine compressed" :rotfl: but to the front seat occupants it wasn't bad. so if you mainly drive by your self, or dont live in a city with holes everywhere then your probably good. but dont take that as a scary sign to run away i did after all have them on for a year in nyc and they were fine in all driving conditions and the rear passengers were ok, its just the big bumps that weren't the best but once you know how to drive with them your good. there was also not alot of movement in the back in corners. And one more side note is Go try them! if anything bring em back that's what i did with the trailvoy ones i bought and they had light scratches covered by a sharpie and still kinda dirty and they took them back and then i got the tahoe shocks, now i did the reverse.

Springs only:
From what i have now with stock autozone shocks it feels like factory. also if your wondering how much the springs lift the rear you can compare them with this
View attachment 67400

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Just to verify that this is for a GMT360/370? What shock did you use? If you have lifted your TB not all Tahoe shocks are suitable.

It appears that you may have left off the remaining comment.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
djthumper said:
Just to verify that this is for a GMT360/370? What shock did you use? If you have lifted your TB not all Tahoe shocks are suitable.

It appears that you may have left off the remaining comment.
yes it would be the same for all gmt360/370's (swb or lwb) and gmt305 aswell (xuv). I used autozone Gabriel ProGuards they were the cheapest ones :smile:. also no the last comment is complete it feels exactly like said, as if they were factory which is good since the tahoe springs are progressive rate (gets stiffer with more load) so they are smooth with the only possible drawback for someone being the lift they get with these springs

also no i have not lifted my envoy it is fully stock with the exception being the tahoe springs, also yes the tahoe shocks are not suitable for anymore lift in the rear after the tahoe springs since the expanded and compressed lengths are basically the same as stock shocks. also only 07-14 shocks/springs work which makes the term Z71 technically wrong since there was no Z71 those years.

also i just edited the op and fixed it, thanks for pointing them out!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If it will let you, I would change up the title to mention TB/Envoy line since we have all GMTs represented here. Let me know if it won't let you change the title and I will assist you with it.

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
djthumper said:
If it will let you, I would change up the title to mention TB/Envoy line since we have all GMTs represented here. Let me know if it won't let you change the title and I will assist you with it.
never thought of that sorry, also yea i cant change it

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.