How often do you change synthetic oil?

cchuffman

Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
I am thinking about changing to fully synthetic oil, but how often do you change it? And what are some good filters to use? I don't have an oil life monitor on my Envoy, so I go by mileage when it comes to oil changes. I have heard of others going as long as six months between changes. Any truth to that? Thanks!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Id go every 6-8k miles. Remember to check your oil often to make sure level is fine.

Feb 24, 2012
Recognizing that I don't have a 360, the following are my own opinions on the subject (which is all you are going to get, a lot of hearsay)

Synthetic oil can go a very long time between changes. If you really want to you can put 15000 or more as long as you change the filter on occasion. There have been many (non-scientific) studies run with people sending high milage synthetic oil samples to Blackstone where they have been told that the oil quality is fine to continue use. You may want to send a sample to Blackstone to see if they find high traces of antifreeze in the oil, that would be the only concern about letting it go a long time.

If you do a lot of short trips, not letting the oil reach operating temp for a decent period of time, it will eventually build up moisture that a long hard workout will get rid of. That's another reason to change oil sooner.

A lot of people just aren't comfortable letting any oil run longer than 10K, even synthetic.

This topic is old and gets hashed over on forum after forum, so do some research, develop your own opinion and do what you are comfortable with. That said, I go by the oil life monitor on my Yukon with full synthetic mobil 1. I found that the Yukon would burn off Mobil1 5w30 fairly quickly unless I used the "high milage" version. On my wife's Passat Wagon (turbo) we change it at 10K, the manufacturers recommended interval for synth 0w20. My '54 MG gets fresh dino every fall before winter storage so it has clean oil without any moisture in it for the long winter storage. I don't put enough miles on it to justify the change other than the time and my own concern about storing it with moisture in the system. Even with the 2-3000 miles I drive it the oil looks pretty clean in the fall when I change it.

One thing is for sure, everyone will have their own opinion on this subject!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
If you have the OLM idiot light a Scan Gauge will let you program it to get a readout of the actual number so you can be ready to change the oil if the OLM system has determined you've pushed the engine hard enough to warrant it. Admitantly, I do not know if OLM was available in your model year.

That said I am running Amsoil OE and have been changing the oil close to the OLM limit. Amsoil OE is recommended for just the manufacturer's oil change intervals. Their XL is basically the same oil with a stronger additive package and their Signature is what can be used for extended oil change intervals.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
About 6-8K here as well.

As far as filters go, I believe the consensus is the Amsoil and Royal Purple are two of the top contenders in regards to fine filtration, RP is likely more readily avail.

Regardless of how many miles you have, I wouldn't use the Mobil 1 "High Mileage" unless you have signs of leaks or excessive consumption. No need to swell any seals up that are still working fine. If the leaks are easily repairable that is still your best option.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Personally, I change my dads and mine about every 5-6,000 or 1 Year. Considering I only put about >2,000 miles on the voy this year. I wont be changing the oil until next spring which is one year......:smile:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I go by the OLM, which is usually every 10-15k miles. I use RP 5w-30 with a K&N filter. No signs of trouble yet or excessive wear. I am considering an oil analysis with my next oil change (around 3500 miles left).

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
depends on how you drive, where you drive, and how often, how long and how far.

I change mine once per year lately, which is the recommended interval for my 03 TB, even with the use monitor. (if the change oil indicator does not show, supposed to change oil and reset monitor) I figure 3-5 k per year and there is around 50% oil life left

if you spent any time in traffic in the 100 degree plus weather we had this past summer, it takes a lot out.

ditto if you just spend a lot of time idling or in heavy traffic.

if you drive to where is gets way cold, again takes more out.

if you tow, four wheel in the woods, or race around like a maniac, more stress.

if you always drive short trips, and never let it warm up, more stress, less oil life.

how many miles a year do you plan to drive?

all moving highway miles? some city? are you an easy driver, or are your feet made of lead pogo sticks?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Every 6k for mine, Mobile 1.. and just the basic AC Delco filter.. pf48 I think it is..

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Every 6k for mine, Mobile 1.. and just the basic AC Delco filter.. pf48 I think it is..

So maybe once every year for you?? Lol

Dec 4, 2011
Since you already have most of the Pro's and Con's I will just give the numbers. With Amsoil oil and filter once a year and about 10K miles.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I'm averaging a change every 10k-15k kilometers. All depends how busy my weekends are and what the weather is going to be like :smile:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Mark20 said:
If you have the OLM idiot light a Scan Gauge will let you program it to get a readout of the actual number so you can be ready to change the oil if the OLM system has determined you've pushed the engine hard enough to warrant it. .
Mark, please explain what your trying to tell us?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
jrSS said:
So maybe once every year for you?? Lol

haha basically.. just once a year.. saves that paper!!! :rotfl:, now once she gets back to normal :undecided: lol

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I follow the OLM which usually trips the light around 12/13K. Mobil 1.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
I've been using full synthetic since the 1st oil change on my '02 (bought in July of '01). I use the OLM and change it when the light comes on, which is usually around 10K. Motor starts & runs like it's new.

As for the filters, just make sure to NOT use anything Fram.

Wix, Napa gold, K & N, Mobil 1, Purolator Pure One, and AC Delco are all good filters.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
I use amsoil. Im a dealer so it kinda makes sence. I change my oil based on analysis results, bout 15-18k I change filters every 6k and top off any oil lost in the change. Here in Wyoming we drive ALOT so it helps to only have to change my oil twice a year vs. 5-7 times if I did it every 4-6k.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm