How do you pull a 4.2l out?

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I don't have to do this and its definitely beyond my tool collection capability but I have always wondered how do you pull a 4.2l engine from a TB or Boy?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's sort of as expected for a factory manual. :rotfl: EIGHT pages of preparation and dozens of things to remove and disconnect, then the actual process is described with no pictures:

View attachment 19112

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 16

Brewins

Feb 10, 2012
Yeah it does leave a little to be desired eh....lol....

dougman

Mar 15, 2012
I did my own engine replacement (02 with the bad 6th cylinder sleeve) at 96K miles. One of the easiest things I've ever done. The only suggestion I have is that you have the fuel line tool to disconnect the fittings, have your freon removed at a shop, and when trying to get to the top bolts of the bellhousing, have the driveshaft(s) removed, support the transmission with a jack, remove the cross member for the transmission, but leave the engine mounts attacked. The whole assembly will pivot down and give you great access to the top bolts on the bellhousing. Remove only the top couple, leaving the others, put it all back in line and properly supported before removing the rest. The whole job took me less than 12 hours with little help from anyone else. Oh, you do need a swivel, and about 18-24" of extensions for your socket to reach those bolts. Without all the EGR, almost no vacuum lines, and a very simple wiring harness, it has been my most favorite difficult job. I've done spark plug changes on V-6 transverse engines that were more frustrating that this. Just take your time and all will go well.

It should also go without saying that our engine is REALLY long. You must remove the hood to get clearance to take it out, and despite being made of aluminum, is very heavy and cumbersome to deal with on a lift.

Good luck!

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
It's sort of as expected for a factory manual. :rotfl: EIGHT pages of preparation and dozens of things to remove and disconnect, then the actual process is described with no pictures:

View attachment 4422

and of course there's the final step #70 ... Installation is the reverse of the procedure!!

Reminds me of doing vibration testing. A 3 minute test can take days to setup and instrument - week(s) if there are any glitches. After a slightly high amound of setup turmoil, a frustrated program manager once asked how long the testing would take once we resolved the problems and finally had things all ready to go. Without hesitation I told him "exactly three minutes". :biggrin:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
yes its not as difficult as some people make it out to be. even 4wd setups is only really another hour or so tacked on to the job. unlike some older cars (like my impala ss) you have to remove the radiator and condenser. i always prefer to strip as many accessories off in the car, helps lighten the block up, makes your payload physically smaller and you avoid smashing said accessory into something on the way out. didn't even bother labeling the harness, all the plugs line up nicely. left the power steering pump in the car, and fluid lines connected; one less oily mess to clean up

currently knee deep in my impala, while it should be easy to yank once everything is disconnected, the harness is a lot messier than the TB, a bunch of EGR stuff in the way (getting deleted) and a complicated vacuum line topography that has long been eroded so i'm not even sure what goes where to begin with. took it all apart because its getting bodywork and paint anyway
View attachment 19573

Attachments

• 425644_10150611133098733_736578732_9256004_1573168552_n.jpg
    425644_10150611133098733_736578732_9256004_1573168552_n.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online