How do I need to wire this?

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I was wondering if anybody would be willing to draw up a wiring diagram for me. I'm wiring 2 MTX Thunder 6000 subs with a thunder 6500d amp. I plan to use a ported box that measures 32" wide, 14" tall, 17" deep, which i believe should be about right for these subs. Or, if you can point me in the direction of an already existing wiring diagram, that would be great. Thanks!

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
dcmtnbkr said:
I was wondering if anybody would be willing to draw up a wiring diagram for me. I'm wiring 2 MTX Thunder 6000 subs with a thunder 6500d amp. I plan to use a ported box that measures 32" wide, 14" tall, 17" deep, which i believe should be about right for these subs. Or, if you can point me in the direction of an already existing wiring diagram, that would be great. Thanks!

Did you want to run them in series or parallel?

http://www.termpro.com/asp/pubs.asp?ID=124

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Are they single or dual voice coil, and what ohm are they cant give directions without this info

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:
Parallel

I wanna say dual, but i have to double check. 4 ohm.

Dual for sure.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Ok and im pretty sure that amp is only 4 ohm bridged, take the pos of one coil(on each sub) and use a jumper wire to connect that pos to the other coils neg, then bring the open pos to the connector on the box and the same with the neg this makes the amp see the 2 speakers as 2 single 8ohm speakers which puts a 4 ohm load on the amp, if you have any probs you can go to www.sonicelectronics.com the have instructions on how to wire speakers on the site, just click on any sub and it shows how to wire them, in the middle of the screen there s a wireing "BUTTON"

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
ghenny440 said:
Ok and im pretty sure that amp is only 4 ohm bridged, take the pos of one coil(on each sub) and use a jumper wire to connect that pos to the other coils neg, then bring the open pos to the connector on the box and the same with the neg this makes the amp see the 2 speakers as 2 single 8ohm speakers which puts a 4 ohm load on the amp, if you have any probs you can go to Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers the have instructions on how to wire speakers on the site, just click on any sub and it shows how to wire them, in the middle of the screen there s a wireing "BUTTON"

Found a diagram, is this what you are referring to?

View attachment 19937

Attachments

• 2DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg
    2DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 20

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ghenny440 said:
Ok and im pretty sure that amp is only 4 ohm bridged

x2 I had a few amps from that series and even though they have a 2 ohm bridged rating they would go into protect at 2 ohms

2_4ohmDVC_4ohm.png

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for the help guys. I also seem to have a short in my front passenger door speaker. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. I'm hoping that swapping the HU will fix this, but if not, how likely is it that it is an issue with the speaker? It sounds fine when it works. What i'm getting at is what is the likelyhood that i will have to rewire that door?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
dcmtnbkr said:
Thanks for the help guys. I also seem to have a short in my front passenger door speaker. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. I'm hoping that swapping the HU will fix this, but if not, how likely is it that it is an issue with the speaker? It sounds fine when it works. What i'm getting at is what is the likelyhood that i will have to rewire that door?

Swap it with the driver's side speaker for a while, see if the problem moves. If it does, you know the speaker is bad.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Also sometimes teh connector on the speaker in the door can get cruddy. I thought my stock rear driver door speaker was bad but it was just the connector. I replaced them anyway :biggrin:

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I just realized, this amp has 2 outputs.

View attachment 19994

Is the way you mentioned still the best route?

Attachments

• IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 11

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Correct... except one speaker goes to each speaker connection on the amp(unless the amp is bridgeable)
Some mono block amps are "INTERNALLY" bridged, meaning you connect the speakers to it normally and the amp is already bridged on the circuitry, if you bridge it manually you will smoke it

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
ghenny440 said:
Correct... except one speaker goes to each speaker connection on the amp(unless the amp is bridgeable)
Some mono block amps are "INTERNALLY" bridged, meaning you connect the speakers to it normally and the amp is already bridged on the circuitry, if you bridge it manually you will smoke it

So like this then?

View attachment 20048

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 5

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members